Anglers Mail

wotnobivvy

Sad, how long before AT follows? Also sad is that AM is not continuing as a standalone online magazine.  

Because of its poor value, obsession with carp and its pandering to the advertiser I won't be anything more than a very irregular AT reader so no change there then. 

How long before AT's price rises now there is no competition? 

If it didn’t pander to advertisers, and it didn’t have an obsession to Carp and commercial fisheries, and it didn’t have people writing articles who blatantly pushed their sponsors baits and tackle, and it didn’t regurgitate subjects quite as often , then I would gladly pay more. But there’s not much chance of that.

But for the new Angler it is a great shame that it will no longer be available in the newsagents.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Not read it since the late sixties and even then it was 50% adverts  ,i got it for the open match fixtures i was silly then lol

I occasionly get a metal detecting mag but half an hours reading for a fiver isnt good value

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I was looking on the magazines for sale in Tescos shelves today and there was actually a ‘Bus’ magazine; so how can a Bus magazine make money? Surely there can’t be enough ‘Bus’ fanatics to make it viable can there?

If a magazine about ‘buses’ can make enough money to make a magazine viable on the shelves then why can’t a fishing weekly like AM? if they gave us anglers a weekly magazine that everyone really wanted instead of the same old regurgitated stuff?.

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Back in the day there were reporting stations in angling shops across the country.  We'd fish at the weekend & if we caught anything worthwhile we'd rush to our local shop in order to make our report, hoping that it would appear in our chosen paper the following weekend. Anglers would then rush to the newsagent on Friday to scour locations or check results before deciding where to fish at the weekend. Beyond that we had innovative writing from the likes of Richard Walker or perhaps more retrospective writing from from Bernard Venables. The 50's, 60's and 70's were truly the golden years of angling and especially angling writing, in my aged, biased opinion!

• Like 2

On 10/13/2020 at 2:19 PM, wotnobivvy said:

Only another 3 issues and we are left with 1 weekly mag !!

? Sea Angler used to quote 45,000 readers and there were 3 sea fishing magazines. Now there is Sea Angler and possibly one other but I haven't seen it for ages and someone says that Sea Angler now only prints 5,000 copies and the Editor is now self employed, not sure how true this info is though. It suffered the same fate as others. Constantly regurgitating old stories, blatantly biased towards its advertisers and not having anyone on it's staff that could identify sea fish so wrongly giving prizes to the wrong fish. I'm almost tempted to bring out another magazine to put it out of it's slow lingering death.

• Like 2

All,

I am a 50 year subscriber to MINIATURE  DONKEY TALK MAGAZINE (go ahead CHESTERS1, google it).

I have to agree with PETER to some extent. For me, late 60's - 70's - and probably early 80's in carp angling were the golden years.

Since angling for the most part is a chosen avocation and hobby not many care to read redundant stories about common carp an omnivorous fish. They can eat a herbivorous diet of aquatic plants, but prefer to scavenge the bottom for insects, crustaceans (including zooplankton), crawfish, and benthic worms - or that they have   50 chromosome.

You want excitement try miniature donkeys.

I enjoy angler accounts of sessions, on AN - - - AND - ok the BS

Phone

My late Dad, who passed away some 36 years ago had a mention in the Angling Times for a Specimen Barbel of 7 Lb - 5 & a 1/4 oz at Ainderby on the river Swale in 1975  Ligging on with double caster on 4 Lb line on a forged size 18 hook. In a 4 o'clock hole!! (a peg that doesn't come on till about that time)

That was a bit of a monster in its time bearing in mind there were no high protein stuff going in!!

.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Cats just put her foot on the Keyboard!!!!!

Cooking Fat!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

4 hours ago, Phone said:

All,

I am a 50 year subscriber to MINIATURE  DONKEY TALK MAGAZINE (go ahead CHESTERS1, google it).

I have to agree with PETER to some extent. For me, late 60's - 70's - and probably early 80's in carp angling were the golden years.

Since angling for the most part is a chosen avocation and hobby not many care to read redundant stories about common carp an omnivorous fish. They can eat a herbivorous diet of aquatic plants, but prefer to scavenge the bottom for insects, crustaceans (including zooplankton), crawfish, and benthic worms - or that they have   50 chromosome.

You want excitement try miniature donkeys.

I enjoy angler accounts of sessions, on AN - - - AND - ok the BS

Phone

You want excitement? Try barramundi fishing with 10 to 14 ft crocs eyeing you as a potential meal

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.