Anglers Mail

wotnobivvy

9 minutes ago, Bobj said:

You want excitement? Try barramundi fishing with 10 to 14 ft crocs eyeing you as a potential meal

Thought the Bull Sharks & Great Whites ate most of these??

I'll keep safe doing what I do thanks very much!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I guess this a sign of the times and many of us will look back at the golden years fondly. I'm surprised any magazine is surviving at the moment. I can't remember the last time I went out and bought one. For many years, they've become an impulse, one-off type affair for many of us. It's sad, really. Magazines and comics defined my youth!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

16 hours ago, Bobj said:

You want excitement? Try barramundi fishing with 10 to 14 ft crocs eyeing you as a potential meal

Bob, we've had some !         Fishing the Top End in a tinny, we were free lining blueys into likely barra spots and slowly retrieviing them as we drifted uo a tidal creek.   One spot seemed pretty good, several barras around the 10 lb mark.   So we put the hook down.   After a bit I got snagged - pulled for a break, and the "snag" went away across the bottom. then climbed up the creek bank and  revealed itself as a 4 ft saltie. Then Norma hooked another "snag" - a 6-footer this time .    We had a few more.   "Al" I said to the guide, "is it my imagination, or is each croc we see bigger than the one before ?"

"Too right" said Al  " and as the last one was 10 ft the next might be trouble"      He drew my attention to the gashes on the side of the boat from past attempts by salties to get aboard.   He reckoned that the bigger the croc, the more likely it was to work out where all these  blueys were coming from.  "Time to move" he said, and I wasn't gonna argue....

Iv'e fished a few mangrove swamps on foot,and the possibility of crocs really sharpens up your awareness and fieldcraft.   Fished a few jungle streams in big cat country too, and that keeps one on alert also.      

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

4 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

Bob, we've had some !         Fishing the Top End in a tinny, we were free lining blueys into likely barra spots and slowly retrieviing them as we drifted uo a tidal creek.   One spot seemed pretty good, several barras around the 10 lb mark.   So we put the hook down.   After a bit I got snagged - pulled for a break, and the "snag" went away across the bottom. then climbed up the creek bank and  revealed itself as a 4 ft saltie. Then Norma hooked another "snag" - a 6-footer this time .    We had a few more.   "Al" I said to the guide, "is it my imagination, or is each croc we see bigger than the one before ?"

"Too right" said Al  " and as the last one was 10 ft the next might be trouble"      He drew my attention to the gashes on the side of the boat from past attempts by salties to get aboard.   He reckoned that the bigger the croc, the more likely it was to work out where all these  blueys were coming from.  "Time to move" he said, and I wasn't gonna argue....

Iv'e fished a few mangrove swamps on foot,and the possibility of crocs really sharpens up your awareness and fieldcraft.   Fished a few jungle streams in big cat country too, and that keeps one on alert also.      

Show off! I had a close call with a toad once

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

6 minutes ago, chesters1 said:

Show off! I had a close call with a toad once

I've met him !   A minor club official with delusions of grandeur.    Didn't have any I.D. on him but demanded to see my club card and licence.  I told him to go climb a tree.

Re the salties...

The only other occasion where wildlife stopped me fishing was on the Oykel    Fly fishing for Salmon , wading a rapid, above a deep pool, and was attacked by midges.   I was not being bitten much, but two eyes full of midges meant I couldn.t see - in a fast current in midstream. Chucking handfuls of river water into my eyes was all I could do and the midges came back as soon as I stopped the irrigation.   Was damn glad to get out of the water

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

RNLI Governor

It happens to be convenient for us to use three similar bank accounts - her money, my money and a household account.   As some sort of compensation for a  miserly, derisory and sheer bloody "stuff you. moosh"  rate of interest, our bank has cut a "deal" with a publishing company. As a result we get a "free" monthly mag with each account.    One on Birdwatching, for Norma, one on preserved Steam Locomotives for me, and as no other candidate is worth considering, thought "Improve Your Coarse Fishing" would provide a laugh or two.

The first two are acceptable, a bit "Mickey Mouse" in places, but one or two really good articles most months. Not the third magazine though. Unfortunately to call IYCF "infantile" is to grossly inflate its credibility. Here is a quote from a recent article on surface fishing for carp

"Pay attention to wind direction.

Ideally you want to find a swim with the wind blowing from behind you. This will help when it comes to feeding, casting and tackle control.   If it is blowing in your face , your loosefeed will simply end up back at your feet."

I wish I were joking, but that is what it said.  For the benefit of any newcomers to angling, read our experienced members' comments on this pearl of wisdom (NOT) - that quote could hardly be more wrong.   I won't comment further at this stage but will let the rest of you have a go first.

Its all yours,  lads and lasses.

RNLI Governor