Anglers Mail

wotnobivvy

As long as I can position myself out of sight then I would be fishing close in under my feet anyway if the wind was in my face; as any food on the surface would naturally end up there anyway when the wind was coming towards me.

Some of my best days fishing on the surface have been with me either laying flat on my stomach or sitting well back from the edge behind cover and fishing with the wind coming towards me.

On occasion I have even fished with my line coming directly upwards off the bait below my rod tip with no line laying on the surface at all (dapping).

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thanks BB for a good summary of how wind affects carp

Also see my comments on venue 2 in the earlier thread "Winding Down"

As Dick Walker once said "How much intelligence, for the love of Mike, does an angler need to realise that floating food will go where the wind blows it ?"

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Except in a river or stream

Regarding the information about the wind i have come to realise Millenials dont have a sense of consequence, you see them on youtube falling foul of obvious pitfalls any 'normal' adult will predict so everything has to be explained and most likely every time it's published because when you live on a phone there is no need to remember anything, its a wonder some remember to breathe !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

On 10/16/2020 at 4:49 PM, leedafeeder said:

I'm not keeping up am I ? Is Anglers Mail going monthly?

No, it will cease to exist in paper format.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

On 10/16/2020 at 1:23 PM, Elton said:

I guess this a sign of the times and many of us will look back at the golden years fondly. I'm surprised any magazine is surviving at the moment. I can't remember the last time I went out and bought one. For many years, they've become an impulse, one-off type affair for many of us. It's sad, really. Magazines and comics defined my youth!

I actually bought AT today, AM had sold out, miserly thin offering for £2.30, tempted by 'roach' on the front cover, well over a year since I last bought AT. I really don't know why I bothered. This afternoon I also picked up a hardly read copy of John Watson's A Pikers Progress for a mere fiver, now that is value, especially when compared with AT! Was a time that a daily visit to WH Smith was a must, now it's the book shelves in my local charity shops!  

• Like 3

On 10/16/2020 at 1:23 PM, Elton said:

I guess this a sign of the times and many of us will look back at the golden years fondly. I'm surprised any magazine is surviving at the moment. I can't remember the last time I went out and bought one. For many years, they've become an impulse, one-off type affair for many of us. It's sad, really. Magazines and comics defined my youth!

? Mine too. I used to buy SA, AT and AM and I've won prizes from all of them but I find it more interesting and informative to now read online news groups. I can't remember when I last bought a magazine.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2020 at 6:55 PM, Vagabond said:

I've met him !   A minor club official with delusions of grandeur.    Didn't have any I.D. on him but demanded to see my club card and licence.  I told him to go climb a tree.

Re the salties...

The only other occasion where wildlife stopped me fishing was on the Oykel    Fly fishing for Salmon , wading a rapid, above a deep pool, and was attacked by midges.   I was not being bitten much, but two eyes full of midges meant I couldn.t see - in a fast current in midstream. Chucking handfuls of river water into my eyes was all I could do and the midges came back as soon as I stopped the irrigation.   Was damn glad to get out of the water

I think my closest call with danger was a grass snake swimming in front of me. ?