Film Cameras - What's The Score?

Elton

My daughter has asked for a film camera for Christmas i.e. the sort you have to get developed. Quite why, I don't know. Can you still get the film developed, or is more of a home thing nowadays?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Yes proper photography shops will develop the film

One grandaughter took a photography course and film was mandatory as was learning how film cameras worked ,she was given a couple of my pentax's which delighted her and part of the course was film processing  which helped .

Film is still available i think we snatched up a load from poundland which we passed on to practice on ,film is old but not yet dead .

I prefer digital none of that out of focus snaps you wait a month or more to use a reel of film up lol

Even polaroid cameras are still being used ,in their heyday they tended to be used for photos you couldnt take to boots (wink) not sure why in modern days they are needed ?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Cheers. It's reassuring to know that she should be able to get developing done, then.

As for polaroids, I have no idea what you mean ?

• Thanks 1

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Elton,

WHAT CHESTERS1 SAID.

What he didn't say - - print film photography is more expensive than a boat.

Despite the efforts to reintroduce film to the masses, major film companies are still dropping film stocks every year because not enough people are buying them anymore. It’s also becoming hard to find them in stores nowadays and even harder to find photo labs that process them.

DID she give you a clue why?  EVEN movies are digital now. I fear you have a communications issue with her.

Phone

• Like 1

Its certainly not as cheap as it used to be but its not scarce ,never heard of these but the price is right

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fomapan-400-35mm-24-Exposure/324076699930?epid=1356675755&hash=item4b747a011a:g:96MAAOSwyR1eS6fJ

There was a strange surge in buying russian? Cameras a few years ago but thats subsided i think

Edited by chesters1

• 2 weeks later...

Has she specified Black & White Elton? Just a thought because it is a dying skill, been doing it myself for over 50 years.

Very rewarding but I suppose a skill set like maintaining steam engines!

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

• 1 year later...
On 11/1/2020 at 9:12 PM, Huge_Vitae said:

Very rewarding but I suppose a skill set like maintaining steam engines!

Yep, as someone who used to restore, fire and drive steam locomotives, build and use split bamboo rods (still use 'em) and tie his own flies I have every sympathy with roll film users, even though I went the digital route,    Must dig out my vintage  Canon equipment and see if anyone  is interested,

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I have put a list of roll-film equipment in the "Sale  and Wanted " Forum

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I had a brief  splurge on film cameras i couldnt afford when they were common ,i then realised they were not any better than the cheap ones i had as i took snaps  not photos .the pentax's were passed onto my youngest daughter oldest daughter when she took a photography course (the first part involves film and film processing) and my canon m1 (actually  an olympus om1? my canon disapeared🤔) waits for another person to ask .I dont think i will find a taker for my pathescope cinicam or projectors so they will sit in the loft until i die and a skip is rented 

I like the thought of cameras but theres only so many you can take in a small village so my fuji with its 50x zoom sits idle and my other fuji waits solely to record finds from detecting for the land owners to wonder why i waste my time the only thing my phone camera gets used for is when i take something apart so i have fewer bits left over putting it back and a 64mp cam is a little over the top! I want to take photos but i cant be bothered to ,but if i ever did i am prepared!

I like to be prepared even for things that wont happen ,just incase will be my downfall! Saying that my "prepper" instinct paid off last spring my mrs bit her tongue as the food i stockpiled slid past it for a couple of months before we caught on to amazon prime!

Edited by chesters1