a colourful day out

bluezulu

Unfortunately a lot of "crucian" today are nothing but brow
n goldfish and some are gold ,one way to destroy any real crucians in a pond ?

The koi are not so bad they do fight once they hit double figures!

Stockbridge pond had a handfull and wily buggers they were

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ALL,

Great photos. Where is Latimeria when you need him? It is not rare for the two to hybridize . I can't remember the count but you can count the length of the scale pattern and you will have the answer.  IN both pictures you can clearly see and count.

AGAIN, well done bluezulu

Phone

15 hours ago, bluezulu said:

chesters the pool i caught them from is stuffed with brown gold fish and all the locals that fish it think they are catching crucians. they won't have it when i tell them otherwise.

Even the EA turn blind eyes ,in one stocking an EA 'officer' was present watching the transfer from pickup (the pickup was fitted with a air pump and large tank for the fish) i remarked i hadnt seen gold crucianx before ,he said nothing! Its widespread finding true crucians today would be rare !

I found each bucket of fish formed their own shoal and watched them for a few weeks doing my rounds and what were goldish fish soon went goldfish colour (since they are just brown goldfish) which tended to keep to the middle of the shoal for safety .

The water is gin clear in the colder months so you could spot several shoals on a round ,slowly the shoal got smaller whether they lost stragglers who formed little shoals out in the middle or they were eaten by the resident herons i dont know but you see such things when you look .

Another revealing thing was a tank of river roach (leaner than pond ones they much use more energy fighting the flow i presume) arrived (again with the EA bloke watching) these had lots of black spots on them (harmless i was informed ) and again the shoal thing happened BUT the unusual thing was they took at least 6 months to get to the opposite end of the pond (going by anglers showing me these spotted fish)  much harder to spot in the shallows and for only a week or so.

I presume the newcomers have to find their place in the pond and fish pecking order ? You see lots of things most people dont when you do rounds 3 times a day ,anglers seem not to see things with their eyes on floats or spring tips ,one didnt even notice a family of geese pinching his bait from under his chair ,(crafty buggers always came from behind coming from the swim next door lol) 

I miss bailiffing i could spend hours chatting but i dont miss the whining theres no fish because even when i told them the tricks to catch in the particular pond they just carried on as they were and carried on whining when i came past on the way back !

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

On 10/29/2020 at 9:09 PM, bluezulu said:

chesters the pool i caught them from is stuffed with brown gold fish and all the locals that fish it think they are catching crucians. they won't have it when i tell them otherwise.

I could tell a similar story about a pond stocked with bream and silver bream.    I was called in to settle a dispute.  One bloke reckoned he hsd caught a 3 lb silver bream.  Half the club supported him, the other half hated his guts and wanted his fish, him, and all his tribe exterm   er disqualified.

I was authorised to dissect a couple of small samples and examine their pharyngeal teeth. It will not necessarily show anything I told them, but they said they had looked the  numbers of teeth up in a book  They would examine the teeth they said, they  just needed me to provide them, as they didn't know what they looked like, whereabouts in the fish they were, or how to get them out ! They had already done fin-ray and scale counts, but the book hadn't helped, everyone who tried to count came up with a different number which matched neither fish's fin-ray or scale count.

The entire club turned up to watch the dissection,, plus their sisters and their cousins and their aunts.    Dissected the fish, waved the pharyngeals at the mob.  One row of teeth, plus one row of four boney knobs pretending to be teeth.  "Definitely not bronze bream" I said. ( Bronze bream have two rows of five longish pointed teeth each side, Silvers have eight stubbier teeth in two rows, five and three)  Great roar of triumph  from  the silver king and his acolytes.

"However" I added, "I cannot certify it as a silver bream, because a hybrid of bronze and silver could show exactly the same pharyngeal pattern as we have here - in fact you can't say for certain that any fish is a silver without a DNA test - and even then the results might be arguable".   Great roar of triumph from the other half of the club, whilst Silver King and his mates went home to make plasticine models of Vagabond and stick pins in them.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• 3 weeks later...

Perry park pool is the only place I know near you that has a good head of "crucians".

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Good day out blue, nice to see some tight lines buddy!! Any fish will do (a crash of drums, a flash of light my golden coat flew out of sight, colours faded into darkness I was left alone)

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!