well now i know!

chesters1

Youngest urged us to try couscous

I dont 'try' things at full price so some eventually came up in one of my online reduced shops at £4 for 12 packets of golden wonder stuff.

WHAT is the fuss about ?some miracle maker seems to have invented a machine that makes what seem to be breadcrumbs  and suck every bit of taste out of them ,they are rubbish infact rubbish is to good a word!

You could use these tasteless crumbs to bulk out a stew as they are tasteless they wont flavour it and may if you boiled it for a month have taste put into them.

Not for me the misinformed child will be getting 11 packets whether she wants them or not ,the birds get the used stuff - a mouthful!

Now whats this about quinoa

Edited by chesters1
spelling the frickin title correctly,the rest i dont care

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• chesters1 changed the title to well now i know!

First glance i saw pearl baily !ol

Not tried pearl barley  but i once used some out of a jar (with no success) when fishing and put it back in my creel several months later i remembered i had it and opened it! I nearly brought my guts up it stank so much

So chesters1 tip is if you want pearl barley to have a taste recreate my story!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Use dried, keeps for months.

Wash it and boil it for an hour in stew, like that rice the Spanish use in paella, absorbs all the taste.

Used to eat it all the time as a nipper, one poached rabbit (and I don’t mean boiled!) potatoes, carrots and barley fed all us kids for days.

No food banks.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Food banks were called scrumping and bins

Couscous is just pre-cooked pasta.

Pour boiling water on it, stir, put a lid on and it's done in about four minutes. As you say, it has no flavour of its own, but it's okay as the stodge accompaniment to tagines.

Pearl barley always found its way into mom's leftovers soup and I never liked it much then, but now I make a risotto with it (which takes forever) and it's a pretty good accompaniment for pork in cider and mustard sauce.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Now i have to look up tagines ,i am a simple fat guy i eat simple fare like spuds and their derivates and dead things ! Couscous was an unfortunate venture into poshland

Quick google later.....what i need pots with pointy hat and a barbour coat ! The hat wont fit in me microwave and the zips will spark!

Blimey taking all that time to prepare food could be better used eating it, the microwave is your friend but dont try making  arctic roll its not so good!

My mrs is very old fashioned and not a lover of the new ,she will fire up the gas cooker oven just for a couple of fish while i use the combi microwave its faster smaller so it get up to temp faster ,its fan assisted and turns off when its finished.

Shes not used it once and continually burns herself getting things out of the cooker when she actually remembers to light it! (Or frickin turn it off!)

Edited by chesters1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ken L said:

Couscous is just pre-cooked pasta.

It's not quite that simple. Pasta is made from Durum Wheat flour: Couscous is made from the bits that are left over after the wheat has been milled into flour.

i agree with Chesters, it's awful stuff, not on my menu at all, ever,(and I'll eat just about anything).

11 hours ago, ayjay said:

It's not quite that simple. Pasta is made from Durum Wheat flour: Couscous is made from the bits that are left over after the wheat has been milled into flour.

i agree with Chesters, it's awful stuff, not on my menu at all, ever,(and I'll eat just about anything).

It does not work quite like that either. Pasta is made from durum wheat flour. Couscous is made with durum. Durum is the part of the wheat grain that is not ground by the millwheel. Pasta, couscous and semolina pudding are all made from the same thing.

Couscous is good if you know what to do with it.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Birds didnt touch it ,i am not alone ,i found it strange it was still there this morning even the badgers ignored it but tried to get into the sealed bin i keep the bird food in .It was on the floor!

I may if i remember leave the camera focused on the spot to see if anything else doesnt want it ,fox may take ?

So i cannot pour boiling water over it Cory i must not be as good a cook as yourself must be the lines on the packet saying "pour 160ml of boiling water on it and leave it ,3 to 5 minutes " that confused me

Perhaps i didnt "fluff it up" enough with a fork ,what do you suggest bigger or smaller fork?

I am sure mr golden wonder will have printed the best way of preparing their muck its hardly good for business if they deliberately print instructions so you never buy it again

Never found any type of pasta tasty ,its what you put on it that gives it a taste pasta itself is rubbish its like rice but more processed and best left to foreigners

Edited by chesters1