Books or dvds for Christmas

The Flying Tench

It used to be you could find an angling dvd or at least a book that Santa could bring, but, I don't know about you, I find it tricky nowadays. It seems Catching the Impossible was the last of the dvds, killed off, apparently , by Youtube. For books I used to find Chris Yates a good read, but I don't know what has happened to him. He published 13 books between 1992 and 2013, but nothing since.

Does anyone know what happened to CY Or have you any books you can particularly recommend, not about carp!

john clarke

If you would like something light and humorous you can always try the Mortimer & Whitehouse book ‘Gone Fishing’; which I was bought by a nephew for my birthday present back in February and found quite good.

I’ve just finished watching the Xmas program of Mortimer & Whitehouse ‘Gone Fishing’ on the box and I didn’t think it was that bad, in fact I thought it was quite enjoyable; and a lot better than watching a bunch of Carp guys catching the same old monotonous fish species one after another like peas in a pod and acting like great big kids; like some other fishing programs have been like lately  image.gif.48b88503c74b9b3f44a5f6f6609c5df9.gif

The TV program and it’s accompanying book isn’t really about Angling; it’s just a couple of older men (like me) having a bit of a laugh while doing a bit of fishing.

—————————————————————-

Also, If you haven’t done already; have a look at https://www.medlarpress.com there are some great books both old and new on there plus a few that haven’t yet been published.

Ive bought quite a few books from Medlar over the years and they’ve always been very reliable.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thanks, both of you. I have ordered from Medlar 'Old Father Thames' by Peter Stone.

BB, I agree with you about Mortimer and Whitehouse. I watched some of the TV episodes. Much better than the monotonous Carp programmes, as you say, though I would have preferred a bit more on the actual fishing!

John

• Like 1

john clarke

39 minutes ago, The Flying Tench said:

..though I would have preferred a bit more on the actual fishing!...

I know what you mean John but it was never going to be about the fishing, only one of them can fish for a start. I know lots of people who loved the series and only understood why I enjoy fishing after they'd watched it. I don't think a book of the series would be a good read, the enjoyment is in seeing them fish.  

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Britain's angling writing heydays have left us with a rich library of second hand or republished books, such as this one by Dennis Pye:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PYE-DENNIS-PIKE-FISHING-BOOK-THE-WAY-I-FISH-LITTLE-EGRET-NORFOLK-BROADS-paperbck/382225347917?hash=item58fe67f54d:g:AC0AAOSwyLFZt-RF

The man writes logically and presents his conclusions in a convincing manner. Okay, so he and I are both Broads anglers thus have a common bond but what's good for the Broads can be good for other waters. We have a lot to learn from our forebears. 

• Like 1