The Complete Angler video

The Flying Tench

Have you seen this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2nRfnpWxw&t=152s

by U.S. trout angler and artist James Prosec and others when he was an undergraduate at Yale, I think in 2003?  He's not to be dismissed too lightly. Shortly after leaving Yale he co-funded a trout conservation initiative which has given $2million to various groups. The video could be called 'In the steps of Isaac Walton.' Doubtless people will react to it differently. I thought aspects of it were good, but its glaring fault is that nearly all the fishing (done by him) is fly fishing for trout, which isn't the main emphasis in Isaac's book at all.

But I think the basic idea is brilliant. A coarse fishing video on similar lines would have great scope. Fishing where Isaac fished using Isaac's methods and tackle. Horse hairs, greenheart rods etc. And the historical and literary aspects might appeal to TV companies, too.

What think thee?

john clarke

ALL,

It certainly wouldn't hurt to step up the message Issac left as a scribe. I've got great grandchildren who, through technology, rely on spoken words. I know it is sad but many kids today can't read and comprehend a lick.

Phone 

1 hour ago, The Flying Tench said:

Have you seen this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2nRfnpWxw&t=152s

by U.S. trout angler and artist James Prosec and others when he was an undergraduate at Yale, I think in 2003?  He's not to be dismissed too lightly. Shortly after leaving Yale he co-funded a trout conservation initiative which has given $2million to various groups. The video could be called 'In the steps of Isaac Walton.' Doubtless people will react to it differently. I thought aspects of it were good, but its glaring fault is that nearly all the fishing (done by him) is fly fishing for trout, which isn't the main emphasis in Isaac's book at all.

But I think the basic idea is brilliant. A coarse fishing video on similar lines would have great scope. Fishing where Isaac fished using Isaac's methods and tackle. Horse hairs, greenheart rods etc. And the historical and literary aspects might appeal to TV companies, too.

What think thee?

I’ve fished the same stretches of the river Lea that Isaac did, and unfortunately these places bear very little resemblance to the river that Isaac once knew. There are still stretches away from throng which still hold plenty of fish; and where it’s possible to get permission to film; but you would probably have to go a lot further upstream to find similar fishing to what Issac was used to. Especially if you wanted to ensure catching any nice Chub and Barbel.

I would definitely like to watch and own a video of such a film.

Isaacs book ‘The Compleat Angler’ has been published so many times that is thought to be the second most published book next to the bible (whether this is true I don’t know). I myself have three different volumes all published by different publishers at different times, two volumes of which have parts written by Charles Cotton.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I’ve often thought it would be nice if I could go back in time and spend a day or two fishing with Isaac Walton on his beloved river Lea, and take some of my modern fishing tackle with me to show him what we will be using in the future.

The only problem that I can see is that I would very probably be hung up for witchcraft ?

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

15 hours ago, Mat Hillman said:

Geoffroy Palmer did this a while back!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compleat-Angler-Geoffrey-Palmer-Borras/dp/B001G3EN9O

Wasn't a bad watch,  wouldnt pay that for it though!!

Mat

Sounds like good news. I get the impression it was on TV at some point, and I must have missed it. I also wouldn't pay £27 for it, but I'd be willing to share the cost with someone. I could buy it from Amazon and then send it on when I'd viewed it, or t'other way round. Mat or Keith or anyone else, let me know if you'd be interested.

John

john clarke