change in the wind

Phone

Theres definitely  planned obsolescence and its getting worse as tech increases ,at one time anything with components could be replaced with off the shelf components ,then tech increased and chips grew more and more technical and companies had unique ones produced solely for them for a couple of reasons

A they sell them !

B they sell them to people who pay to fix those problems so the producer not only gets revinue from the chips they design they also get payment from a "certified" repairer which also gets more revinue selling repair manuals and cicuit diagrams to the repairer.

Trouble is although its usualy against the law to build in obselence it happens and rather than giving info to third party repairers they now operate in house repairs so they are creating work for themselves .9 times out of 10 theres a fixed fee to examine the dead item and 8 times out of 10 the owner is told its not repairable so creating sales once more 

C this is called Apple ask mr Rossmann about that !

Unfortunately the home repair chap is scarce today ,make do and mend mostly gone so perfectly good but slighly broken and repairable if parts and info were available stuff is scrapped wheras it could be fixed and there your problem lies

There is a market for parts but especialy in modern cars parts have to be programmed to be used in the car which again creats income for the company or "certified" repairer so the car is irrepairable for the less tech astute home repairer .

Companies are deliberately causing piles of scrap to creat another pile of scrap a few years down the line,why? Because nothing is done to stop it! The country its sold in is getting vat or purchase tax on every applience sold so are reluctant to stop it

My fridge is part of the family its older than my mrs it was our first buy as a couple very second hand in 1974 ,if it dies i would spend the equivelent of a new fridge trying to find the defunct donut compressor it uses so it lives again hopefully for another 60 odd years

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

I Have just experienced the "cost of parts" issue. I have since barely caught my breath. My lovely bride tapped a pole in a car park. Fortunately the only damage was a cracked tail light lenses. It was not particularly complex, maybe 15 sq/cm.

$436+ change. 

Phone

Should have gone to what ever you call a scrap yard !mind i think its deliberate by the manufacturer rear light fittings are just one piece today that seem to be as big as half the rear of the car !

I remember losing an indicator lens on my landy and getting a new one for a couple of quid ,the exact same fitting for a mini was 4 times that but its exactly the same part!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

Required the manufacturer's representative (dealer) because it, the tail light, is integrated with the vehicle main computer and had to be "set" .  They don't make just the lenses (glass btw, not plastic)

PHONE

Theres that tech i mentioned ,rear lights been around 100 + years now they need to be integrated !

Its the printer fiddle! cheap printer expensive short lived carts , do reverse thinking go refillable  and stop their game in an instant!

Edited by chesters1