Deadbaits for chub

The Flying Tench

I have just finished reading 'Old Father Thames' by the late Peter Stone. A good read by a very able angler writing about his experiences fishing the Thames, mainly in the Oxford area, from the 40's to the 90's. It is the kind of book I enjoy, with interesting anecdotes and a style of writing which conveys the beauty of nature and spirit of angling, with just a little on the technical side which might prove useful in practice.

But I have a question. In the nineties Peter did a lot of fishing for big chub, often using a deadbait. For example he talks of catching chub on sardine (half or whole) or trout cutlet! He accepts that sometimes, fishing this way, he caught pike. But my question is this, why doesn't it work the other way? I don't recall a pike angler, fishing static deadbaits, say he'd caught chub. Personally, I don't often fish static deadbaits, preferring to wobble them, but I've never had chub, though I have had one or two good perch on the wobbled sea bait.

But it's the static deadbait that most surprises me, and I'd be interested to know whether others have caught chub (deliberately or otherwise) this way.

john clarke

I've never had chub on deadbaits but raw chicken is an underrated bait.

Of course, chub will eat almost anything:

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

TENCH,

Sounds a bit like you are overthinking the bait dilemma.  

AREN'T chub a member of the carp family, despite looking distinctly different?.  I continue to see big chub grow fast on a high-protein diet that often includes dead fish, and a great many outsize fish have been caught on deadbaits meant for pike and zander as the water cools. Commons will be far more selective about water temp but that's not important in this thread. Larger chub specimens consume virtually anything that lands on the surface.

Seems to me - soft fish - sea fish pieces common to the river drainage system should be super for chub.

I Can't understand why I don't see more comments on freelining or at least slack line rigs for chub. I know they have a reputation for being spooky, but that is a presentation issue not especially related to the rig itself. WITHOUT experience I would hazard a guess static would the worst possible choice in a river. Of course, I also suspect we reel and recast far more frequently on this side of the pond

Imo chub are more likely to take maggots, worm, peice of bread etc before they would take a dead bait, so I can't see the point it it.

Also, using dead baits is more likely to attract a pike and chances are you'll be bitten off and leave the hook in the pike.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:45 AM, Tigger said:

Imo chub are more likely to take maggots, worm, peice of bread etc before they would take a dead bait, so I can't see the point it it.

Also, using dead baits is more likely to attract a pike and chances are you'll be bitten off and leave the hook in the pike.

Tigger, Peter Stone found he could use a wire trace and, at least in rivers, it didn't put off the chub. But other than that you and others have convinced me that deadbait probably isn't a first choice bait for chub in most settings.

john clarke

I honestly think dead baits would be one of the lesser productive chub baits, infact, I think a lure approach would be more productive than a dead bait.  I have had lots of chub on meps on the river.

Personally, I would go with bread, maggots, meat, corn, pellets or even boilies rather than bother faffing with dead baits.

Good luck whatever baits you try ?.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:28 AM, The Flying Tench said:

Ken, that's a great video on your last post, with the guy catching a big chub on a dead mouse and getting hits, presumably from a pike , on the dead rat. Also poking the tench to wake it up!

He has a lot of interesting stuff on his channel, and it's beautifully shot too.

With regard to chub on lures, they will start to take them fairly early in the year (I'm spinning for trout - honest) but as soon as those first cool September nights start, forget it. And IMO, you're wasting your time in the winter.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Caught plenty from the Thames using small sections of Sardine ,Mackeral but esp Lamprey sections 

Helps if you prevail with fish chunks for a while first 

i had a monster   on bread today jyst over 8 plus a 6/05 yesterday 

will see if I can get a video to load on the few hours out today 

A96B3335-E9FB-4886-A905-0D3BF4C856EF.jpeg

• Like 3

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: