Deadbaits for chub

The Flying Tench

What a great pair of Chub JV :thumbs:

Were those fab Chub caught on the upper Thames or on the Kennet?

Keith

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Kennet I have a great Video but it’s to big to load here and another pic of a Chub on a mat don’t do it justice 

Matthew Simmons of old off here had 3 chub over 6 in one evening off the Thames recently 

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I will see if Matthew will post up pics 

simplicity of Facebook I guess 

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

49 minutes ago, Phone said:

Tigger,

uhhmmm - I wonder if you might COMMENT on JV's bait choice. You probably didn't see it.

Phone

Yup, noticed Ste's bait choice.  I've had lots of chub on bread myself.

My biggest chub was 8lb 3 ounces and I caught that one on a large chunk of luncheon meat.  

• Like 1

TIGGER,

I thought about this when you first posted your thoughts on deadbaits.

Of course, I've not seen a video of you in action so I can't be sure. IMO deadbaits for your coarse fish  fall in the same category as boilies for carp. It's up to the fish to get caught. 

The other option requires a steeper learning curve. Not sure what language term to use but is the equal of touch fishing every cast with the idea you will be timing the hookset by experience - the thin line between to early and late. This is more suited to smaller baits and probably the category you belong in. I am in this group and believe me - you DO loose the confidence level as you get older. I have always been a crappy pike and zander fisherman.

Thus your bait is a matter of confidence

Phone

Several of my biggest Chub were caught using legered bread crust fished just off the bottom; or simply fished on the surface; occasionally with a little bun spice flavouring added..

I don’t think there’s many baits that our Chub won’t eat; including big black slugs, prawns, small fry freshwater swan mussels etc. and back in the old days (when they were plentiful and it was legal) anglers used to use our native white clawed crayfish.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to use the Signal crayfish or the Turkish crayfish that have spread into our waters; as bait; but no doubt our Chub (and other fish) are growing quite big on them in lots of our waters.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I’ve caught them on livebait ain’t dead for Perch ,big lives to as the majority of the first 50 or so 3lb plus Perch were accidental captures live baiting for Pike with 4 to 6 oz baits 

Perch and Chub have big gobs 

I spend a lot of time winter fishing for Pike over 30 years so your gonna get lots of freak captures ,big Chub for their day from a lake next to the Kennet that had a liking for Sardine 

lamprey sections they love if you spend a bit of time introducing them 

Steve Walker had a reasonable one trolling lures from my old Portabote years ago 

These fish hang round the back of our island mooring where no one else can fish for them and feel safe ,introduce a couple of balls of mashed bread under the boats where they live and cast in and drag feeder under the boats bow sit and wait ,,,normally only a minute and it’s a 3 foot twitch 

I’m only as good as the water in front of me ,same as anyone else 

I have a bit of the Thames in mind for next winter where no one goes,it’s below a favourite bit of mine that has become a bit of a circus after a 8/10 and 9/01 Chub in recent years and I’m thinking the fishing pressure has pushed them downstream away from it and where they feel safe 

Hope you all stay safe and this year slowly turns out better than last 

• Like 1