big boys toys

chesters1

Some may not even realise this exists especialy Phone but it is a fully working mini train service .

Last time i was on it was with my nan ,mum and sister long ago.

We were going to St Marys bay but my mum couldnt open the door of the carriage and it was late in the year (it operates year round or did!) And the train started off and it wasnt until the next station she could attract attention and we had to get out the carriage on the wrong side ! Trouble is for some reason not told to a ten or so year old (possibly not enough money?) we had to walk back along the track to the last station .It was a fairly long walk especially for my gran and to top it off we had to cross a river? The bridge wasnt made for walking it had no walkway so you had to half walk on the track and its supports.

I doubt very much passengers would 'enjoy ' this trip today,i have no doubt many would be on facebook looking for compensation but just getting on and solving a problem was how you did things back then : enjoy!

Its a pity the camera wasnt on the front of the train but its like you were there!

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Remember the engines Green Goddess and Black Prince along with Typhoon and Hurricane. We used to holiday at St Mary's bay in a friends garden house. There was an amazing bakery near to the station. I believe there was an early Pontins holiday camp there for the richer folks. Many Londoners like myself came to New Romney on a fullsize steam train then used the RHDR along the coast to our destinations. There are still holiday camps along the line and the last time I was there there was a fairground at Dymchurch and a model railway layout on New Romney.

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

We went there just the once if its the place with the martello tower on the beach? Not sure why my dad wasnt there (in the train) he should have left the navy by then but he was already there (at the beach)waiting so may have got a lift?

I remember a run down holiday camp we were chased off looking round it lol it was just (as far as i can recollect) just a run of wooden chalets in a square ,run down or closed at the end of the season i dont know ,cant remember going back to hythe later though ,got pictures of us on the train somewhere

We usualy stayed in a relations caravan at a hythe park a short walk from the canal where i first went fishing

In another vid by the same chap the train stops at a station and a electric? Ones comes along side ,the tracks so bumpy it looks like the engine is trying to take off lol

As for londoners there were lots as its easy to get to by train or coach ,my dads family like many went hop picking etc so kent was well known to them a second home

Update going through some albums (when dad died all the pictures were split up so each child had their memories for their kids) the picture i had in my head didnt show dad but ofcourse he was taking them DOH but why i cant remember him walking the track is strange  ,but i presume the excitement of doing such a thing does such things but what is certain it was mum trying to open the door ! It maybe that dad got out to go find someone and the train left leaving him behind explaining why he was waiting at the beach? Time does strange things! 

Looking at a map i think we should have got off at Dymchurch  but got off at st marys bay and walked back the bridge is about the same place and its not a desperately long walk especially as in those days you walked everywhere anyway!

I thought the martello tower was actually on the beach itself but it appears to be just off it

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Many dont realise its not a train service like the bluebell line etc its a pukka working train .

When i lived in folkestone i knew a chap that depended on it to get to work ,he cycled down to it (nice ride going down!) Parked up his bike and went to work like any other commuter train.

Ofcourse i am talking from back in the 70's it may have gone tourist times today?

On looking it looks like its gone tourist!

https://www.rhdr.org.uk/

Edited by chesters1

Wow thats a view ,i bet like pouring coffee you get a bite when a train appears !ol

Just thought it may not be tourist but trouble with covid distancing rules closing it ,those carriages  are very small lol

Edited by chesters1

I wonder if there are signs inside telling everyone not to lean out at once on the Yukon line?

It amuses me your narrow gauge is twice? the one in my opening post? That carriage is wider than my house!