Thermal underwear

The Flying Tench

Yes - I start with a very thin base layer followed by more traditional thermal vest (both get washed regularly with no hint of loss of performance). Below the waist its a pair of Craghoppers Polar trousers which are excellent....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

TENCH,

Chris hit on it. (cut and paste)

1. Base layer (underwear layer wicks sweat off your skin
  2. Middle layer (insulating layer): retains body heat to protect you from the cold
  3. Outer layer (shell layer): shields you from wind and rain

I have to say I am a HUGE fan of WOOL WOol wool. More later as I'm not exactly sure what it is you are looking for except staying warm

Nothing in the last 20 years "washes out" of cold weather gear that I am familiar with (??).

Phone

13 hours ago, Phone said:

I have to say I am a HUGE fan of WOOL WOol wool. staying warm

Modern fabrics are far more effective than the traditional old stuff like wool or cotton. Wool, cotton or linen, it doesn't matter, none of them wick away moisture like modern fabrics do.

I've got a "Sub Zero" set of long johns and long sleeved vest - it feels clingy and tight when you put it on and you think there's no way this is going to keep me warm - but if you've not left the house five minutes later there's a danger you'll be passing out from heatstroke.

I tend to wear a modern base layer, (not always the Sub Zero ), normal clothes over that and a one piece suit - never ignore the benefits of a one piece suit, closing that gap at the middle makes a huge difference.

https://subzero.co.uk/pages/about-sub-zero

all,

holy crapola I just googled this topic. A waterproof touring jacket with laminated 45,000 mm GORE-TEX® membrane. The genuine goose down inner lining can be worn separately and is designed to withstand the harshest of extreme climates. Complete with certified protectors at the shoulders, elbows and back. $2000

ANTARTICA GORE-TEX® JACKET LIGHT-GRAY/BLACK- Gore-Tex®