Thermal underwear

The Flying Tench

I am xxxxxl i dont wear thermals i have natural warmth just walking and lots of blubber not moving ,whens the last time you saw a seal in a puffer jacket?

I wear T shirts all year round but i admit i wear a coat in the rain theres more skin surface area to get wet ! Dont own jumpers if its cold my T shirt has arms (only own two of those) the last time i got really cold was in 1963 ,you really dont know what cold is if you were born after that imho

No heating in any house until this one bar a fire in one room ,single blanket as a kid if you got cold you put your coat (if you had one) over you! No running hot water until i was 17 no built in bath the same !

You went swimming! If there was no public baths !

Cold? People dont know what is is lol you know its cold when your cutting down dead trees at 2am so the kids are warm getting ready for school! (The last house was a tied cottage so actual pay was far less so little money for luxuries like heating!)

This house is scalding i let the mrs turn it up to 20c but i think if women didnt exist central heating wouldnt exist and chemists would go bankrupt

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My first job after leaving the RN was working in a giant freezer picking frozen food and loading it onto freezer lorries.

They issued us with fleecy lined tops and bottoms which were worn underneath our over jackets and over trousers. I only stayed there for 6 months while I was looking for a new career; but the fleece lined under garments were greatfully used for winter Pike fishing for many years afterwards.

Nowerdays I rarely go out when it’s freezing cold and if I do I just wear a thick padded jacket and some bib-n-brace over trousers.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Women's Tights were the thing in sea fishing circles Yorkshire 70's.

Just don't get run over & end up in Hospital!!

• Haha 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

1 hour ago, Martin56 said:

Women's Tights were the thing in sea fishing circles Yorkshire 70's.

Just don't get run over & end up in Hospital!!

Women’s tights were good while sea fishing in Australian tropical waters . They were good protection against box and irukanji jellyfish when hauling bait nets in a metre of water.

• Like 1

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

Women’s tights were good while sea fishing in Australian tropical waters . They were good protection against box and irukanji jellyfish when hauling bait nets in a metre of water.

Oooh you fibber ,i saw you wearing tighs at windorah (thanks google maps) and thats as far as you can get from the sea your digeridoo was plainly seen! fishnets tights are not good for prancing about trying to get attention of roadtrain drivers ,3 kangaroos committed suicide they were so traumatised 

• Haha 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

1 hour ago, chesters1 said:

Oooh you fibber ,i saw you wearing tighs at windorah (thanks google maps) and thats as far as you can get from the sea your digeridoo was plainly seen! fishnets tights are not good for prancing about trying to get attention of roadtrain drivers ,3 kangaroos committed suicide they were so traumatised 

Lambert Centre Of Australia in the Northern Territory is the furthest from any sea, not Windorah, which is in Queensland, a distance of just over 800 km, so there!? 
Opal country near Windorah...  

Anyway, I was in a hole digging garnets near Alice Springs.

• Haha 1

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

With todays clothing i've found the big thick jumpers etc are inferiour to the moderrn thin thermal or even just ordinary clothing.  As a couple of examples....underarmour and superdry clothing is good, it fits snug and is very heat retaining.

Some of the cragghopers fleeces are fantastic and are only thin.  They also last a long time, I have a couple which have been used on a daily basis for some periods for over a decade, and they are still sound.  You do need to check out the material though as some of them are inferiour to others.  The tightly woven ones are best but may be a little more expensive...not much more expensive though.

Even over the crimbo period and the first couple of weeks of this year whilst I was fishing in just above freezing conditions I was only wearing a T shirt under a small lightweight puffer jacket!  The puffer jacket is packable and weighs very little, it cost me 15 quid from primark and i've been using it for over 3yrs!!  It really is excellent and I can't recommend it enough.  I would imagine if you bought a more expensive version from go outdoors or another outdoors supplier the jacks would be way better.

For most of my wading I just wear rubber (aigle) thigh waders and my normal trousers underneath, sometimes I wear a long pair of socks pulled right up over my trousers and above my knees.

Regarding chest waders, I used to wear a 5mm thick neoprene version which were very uncomfortable and surprisingly they really weren't at all warm.

A number of years back I took the plunge and purchased some greys breathable waders which came supplied with a set of seperate felt soled boots.  For me they were a big eye opener, the felt soled boots gave amazing grip on slippy rocks where wading in my rubber soles was like walking on ice, and contrary to my thoughts the breathable material was very comfortable and very warm!

Several months ago I used them whilst trotting for grayling on a northern river and although it wasn't freezing it was quite cold.  Underneath the waders I wore a pair of thermal leggings which are thin, and a pair of normal jogging bottoms and a pair of over the knee socks pulled over my thermals and joggers. 

I have worn the same things when on the same river in freezing conditions and again, I was warm enough to keep fishing.

One recommendation I have about the thermal underwear/leggings, which may sound like a joke but it really isn't, is to make sure the fly area has a Y arrangement rather than just a straight slit.  Reason being, if you don't wear undies beneath them ( which I do't as I find it uncomfortable) your knob will keep falling through the slit which is annoying and uncomfortable.  

• Like 1

For fishing in the short, cold days of winter, I find that the best solution is to fly 7,000 km to the tropics.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

On 2/5/2021 at 9:17 PM, Ken L said:

For fishing in the short, cold days of winter, I find that the best solution is to fly 7,000 km to the tropics.

Blimey i hope you dont forget your flask!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 10:23 PM, Bobj said:

And the stiletto heels served what purpose exactly Bob, wink wink.

• Haha 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."