BEAST FROM THE EAST

big_cod

I use "accuweather" it isnt! Even parts of the apps opening screen differ from each other ! Now i dont bother after all i am not planning to do anything ,if its raining when i look out the window its definately raining so i make plans allowing for rain

Even the weather forecast doesnt go more than a day or two into the future if they go any further they are usually wrong ,when teletext (what?) Used to do it it could have changed completely  from the evening forcast to the next morning!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

There are many different forecasts available with different models I use 3 or 4 different ones , it’s something we have to try and get fairly right in the job I am in no good bringing lads 200 miles travelling through the night just to send them home next morning , it’s extremely bad for business but nowadays forcasts are much more accurate and has got better  than say 20 years ago as weather fronts can be tracked much easier through satellites etc .
But as we are on an island  with often fast moving weather ,very different  to a land mass forecasting can at time be difficult to get right especially with wind forecasts  which generally dentures our job .but sea state is a major factor and that can all depend on air pressure high pressure will generally keep the same fairly flat in where low pressure allows the sea with the slightest breeze to make it lively .
You don’t have to have a lot of wind to have a poor sea state which unfortunately a lot of people don’t quite understand or you could have a 4 mtr  northerly swell from a gale of wind 500 miles away with little wind or no wind in your district .So many factors of the weather to deal with I use the weather bouys for checking swell which is very good for sea  state.

This is the weather bouys all round the U.K. data updated all the time .you can click on any arrow or in your district to see present or previous swell height sea temperature etc .Excellent  site with the information available in our job or to any seafarer .

http://wavenet.cefas.co.uk/Map

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Beast from the east ,didnt exist it was just an overreaction from weather forecasters to avoid the "Fish" effect,its just a normal winter except for one or two areas that had a cold snap .

I have been out the garden in my T shirt working ,if this is cold boy the summer is going to be hot!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

22 hours ago, chesters1 said:

Beast from the east ,didnt exist it was just an overreaction from weather forecasters to avoid the "Fish" effect,its just a normal winter except for one or two areas that had a cold snap .

I have been out the garden in my T shirt working ,if this is cold boy the summer is going to be hot!

Beast from the east nothing -4 outside  at the moment with 25mph southeast wind windchill probably -10 or more nothing really ?another inch of snow yesterday on top  of rest and now  ploughs  out trying to keep the roads open with the drifting snow blowing around off the fields . Drifts 5-6 foot high in other words it’s **** , but it’s just normal winter  weather ?

forecast  today doesn’t get above-2 , 45 mph wind windchill ????  Cuts you in half nothing really ? but milder weather on its way but only temporary the colder  weather  is forecast to return .

image.thumb.png.941d956196e7bf3b8ce70bcdcc4f85ca.png

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

I qualified as a Meteorolgist and Oceanographer in the last three years of my service in the Royal Navy up until 1977 when I left.

We did have satellite pictures to help us back then and we regularly used these satellites to observe the cloud formations surrounding the earth and track tornadoes and other weather anomalies.

We also used computers to help us with past weather patterns, and we also tuned in to weather stations from all over the globe and could see other regions weather charts as well, however the forecasts we made were based on all of the combined information not least from our own data received from ships and onshore metreological sites.

We often got phone calls from local farmers asking for weather information because we were nearly always more detailed and more accurate than the Met Office was; however we were supposed to pass them over to the Civilian Met office but occasionally we used to help them if we had time on our hands.

I suspect that they probably are a little more accurate today with more modern tools and data available to them but I’m sure that the weather forecasts still depend on the regional forecasters themselves and different regions and countries will still have their own weather charts depending on the different regions own forecasters.

The bottom line is: forecasting weather is not an exact science and forecasting the Highs and Lows and wind speeds and temperatures etc. is just like trying to forecast the swirls and eddies in a weir pool where no two swirls and eddies are ever moving exactly the same.

Weather-Chart-zpsjow0biun.jpg

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• 2 weeks later...

Well on consideration it was the least from the east ,a definate "fish" over estimate as most are ,not sure what 1/4 inch of snow is i have more ice in my fridge ,and it melted quicker than i could defrost the fridge as well . i do like my weather station though it records everything so i can check lol its a very mild winter indeed the irises are on the way up the daffs flowered and my bulbs sprouting what a shock they will get if winter comes!

I think some should have tried 1963 and i bet those that lived through 1947? Were thinking in 1963 what snow?lol

I dont understand why we have weather forecasts if its just a guess dont bother ,sack them and pay us to look out the window or just have the shipping forecast so we can google that dogger bank isnt a place to get your leg over in town

Edited by chesters1