How Has Covid Affected Your Local Tackle Shops

Elton

This must have been a tough year for the 'bricks and mortar' tackle trade. Any news from your neck of the woods?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Round my neck of the woods there arn't many tackle shops left Elton.

Of the three closest to me, one sells items at the door and is open for several hours two or three times a week  (I think the owner has another shop or two elsewyhre and he's doing the same with them) the other is closed altogether and the bigger one which used to be Northwest Angling and was taken over by AD will sell things over the phone, you pay over the phone and then go and collect it at a allocated time!

It's not good at all, and for what?...i'm sure shopping in any store is just as safe as shopping in a supermarket etc.

Hows it round your area?

Edited by Tigger

All,

For the first time since the onset of Covid-19 I stopped in one of the major sporting goods retailers (Cabela's). Truthfully I did not stay as long as I originally intended. I was very uncomfortable with the presentation of goods for sale. For example, a guy had half a dozen $300 pairs of boots trying them on. I don't believe there was anything "safety packaged" in the angling section of the store (i.e. hooks, lures and end kit). All clothing was accessible to be fondled.

I have to say an about face was not out of order and under NO circumstances will I return until at least the checkout counters are wiped down between customers.

Phone 

Well my local clubs did rather well out of lockdown - seeing quite a spike in membership this season - so I expect my local tackle shop - which is now the only one - is doing OK - certainly has continued to trade since angling was allowed back in May.....

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

The creel in aldershot closed pre covid they were to honest!

The new polish and turks etc found a loophole in the system (according to the couple that ran the shop) and every few months they all changed places with each other which classed them as new businesses and got financial help and tax loopholes because of this (i am just providing hearsay how would i know how the system works? But i though my eyes were playing up seeing a shop on one side had magically gone to the other ) anyway with the system as it is and the lack of footfall for major tackle they gave up the shop and moved to a carp puddle a few miles away where the footfall is bigger . Unfortunately though a very nice couple in this day and age being nice doesnt bring in customers ,i got my one and only parking ticket chatting lol

They have been closing for years farnham had two both gone aldershot had two one survives i think the one at farnborough survives? And if you go back to my childhood scores have closed every tom dick and harry sold tackle inc M&S and ofcourse woolies! ,whilst online is great for ease and price it has downfalls ,if a retailer has to order say a rod in for you and put a mark up to do that you may as well do it yourself and save a trip and a few quid .Unfortunately buying maggots and a few floats and a chat doesnt pay enough today

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Not a buyer in sight !

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

2 hours ago, chesters1 said:

Not a buyer in sight !

We have 5 shops and every one has at least 7 people buying gear. Covid is a word only in Mackay and north Queensland..

Must admit, it has affected trade from NSW and Victoria during holiday seasons due to the Qld government closing the borders

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Blimey closing the border will impact those gold or opal programs, how on earth will bruce find a tiny nugget or stone then immediately drive 400 miles to weigh it!

• Haha 1