Hooks to nylon for roach

The Flying Tench

Do you use hooks to nylon? I find it works well because it means there is usually a finer and weaker bit of line near the hook, so if there is a break you don't lose yards of line. But how do you get round this problem? In shop bought hooks to nylon, the bigger the hook the stronger the line. So if you are using a size 10 or 12 for fishing for roach with breadflake it means the line strength will be about 6-8lbs bs, whereas 2-3lbs would be better.

I used to tie a length of pre-stretched (Ie extra fine for it's strength) 3lbs line to the main line and then tie on a ringed hook, but nowadays I'm finding using the very fine line too fiddly. Before that I used to tie spade end ones at home - also fiddly!

What do yo do?

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

I always tied my own hooks in the past; but as I’ve got older and my fingers have got less nimble I now always use ready tied hooks for size 16s and below. I carry dozens of pre-tied hooks of different makes and styles and I don’t have many problems with not being able to find a hook with the right breaking strain line as most of my hooks have different strength hooklengths for a particular size of hook; but I still carry a few packets of spade end hooks and a hook tyer and some ultra fine line just incase as a last resort.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I can't be too accurate but I am sure different makers produce different hooklength line strength. these days line diameter seems to be thing so you may find a stronger line has a low diameter

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I tend to go with ‘both’ breaking strains and line diameters together and not purely on line diameters; and I also prefer my hooklengths to have a little stretch in them too.

Using line diameters on their own can be quite misleading too, for the same reasons which is why I look at both diameters and breaking strains and wouldn’t touch a hook which only stated its diameter.

I often use hooklengths down to 0.75lbs although I have in the past used 0.5lbs hooklengths in the winter when I could find them.

NB: I very rarely fish the Pole these days.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I still tie my own spades - can still just about manage down to 18s (though mainly tie 16's and above)- though have to do then in small batches of 2 or 3 at a time as my fingers get tired quickly!

• Like 1

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I can still tie small spade ends (18's or even 20's at a pinch by hand) but like already said, Big hooks with Light hooklengths are hard to come by.

Best I can find are these Size 12 & 14 to 4 Lb & Size 16 to 3 Lb. Preston.

Modern 4 Lb Line is probably the equivalent of the old 2 Lb say of the 60's & 70's. 

Preston Innovations Carp Barbless Hooks To Nylon

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I Like to use Drennan Red Hooks especially for Red Maggots, but will also serve well for other baits.

Available Loose or to Nylon from any decent outlet.

https://www.bobcotackle.co.uk/shop/drennan-red-maggot-hook-to-nylon

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!