Do you jig the float?

The Flying Tench

I've read that with perch it is a good idea to jig the float up and down occasionally as it can precipitate a bite. I sometimes do it, though can't say I have caught an extra fish because of it.  But what about roach? They can like a falling bait, so in theory if you keep lifting the float a foot it means they've got the bait falling through the last vital foot over and over.

But is there a risk it will scare them? Any views?

john clarke

Yep Tench, Mr Bernard Venables shows that Roach do like a falling/rising bit of crust or Flake like in this Lovely old Vid' which will pass on 8 minutes or so this evening. Closely followed by Pt 2. ( shown in wrong Order - Pt 1 is the 2nd Vid'.) Pt 2 shows the "Fluttering" bread best with some nice underwater Photography. Using Mashed bread as Groundbait.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Most shop bought bread will just fall off if you the jig the float ,i presume a more robust bread was used back then ,next time i get distracted and my bread turns into a brick i will post it on ,bait or edible doorstep your choice lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I’ve caught loads of fish over the years when I’ve moved the bait; sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t work but it’s a worthwhile ploy if bites are being very slow.

A well known method for Barbel is to roll or trundle a bait along the bottom every minute or so, and bites are often induced by a bait that is being twitched along the bottom as soon as you start to move it. And I’ve caught Roach and Rudd soon after I’ve gently lifted a bait and then let it settle back onto the bottom when I’ve been using a Pole.

Not the same thing but; I think that some predatory fish will be enticed to strike at a moving bait out of instinct (or anger) even when they are not hungry; like the 16lb Pike a friend of mine caught by accident when his bright orange tutti-fruity boiley was instantly swallowed as soon as it hit the bottom. I doubt very much that the Pike would have taken a fruity flavoured boiley otherwise but I guess something landing almost on its head had caused it to instantly strike; out of pure instinct.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Use it a lot when perch fishing - twitching just a couple of inches often leads to a bite - as does recasting - can think of a couple of times recently when recasting has produced an instant result with the worm being grabbed on the drop.....

• Like 1

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog