Would this work here?

corydoras

Probably not at your local pond under the bank with parents and kids feeding ducks but out of sight most probably lol

America like its lures if they work there they will to some extent work here but our fish are more reserved and gentlemanly and definately have more than a 3 second memory ! Its strange one day a particular lure works then months go by before they catch again! although bread seems never to lose its attractiin to frickin trout!

I use the term lure for bread a similar bit of polystyrene gets the same response until the last second ,i suspect the fish then realise something is wrong?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

17 minutes ago, chesters1 said:

Probably not at your local pond under the bank with parents and kids feeding ducks but out of sight most probably lol

America like its lures if they work there they will to some extent work here but our fish are more reserved and gentlemanly and definately have more than a 3 second memory ! Its strange one day a particular lure works then months go by before they catch again! although bread seems never to lose its attractiin to frickin trout!

I use the term lure for bread a similar bit of polystyrene gets the same response until the last second ,i suspect the fish then realise something is wrong?

This is Canada ;-). The guy does catch some nice fish in some nice spots. Trout will eat ANYTHING. When I was a kid caddis fly larvae were a killer.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

America and Canada are like dissimilar twins lol the normal sibling rivalry but a hidden loathing and liking in the background  lol

An angler i was talking to had a holiday in BC and spotted a couple of 40 plus carp sitting in the lea of a bridge ,over here the slightest shadow and they would be gone ,he dropped sticks and they eventualy moved ,its the difference to wild and never seen a hook over there and learning what anglers are by experience over here and avoiding them or their signs.

Trout eat anything and if taken for the pot never learn anything lol if the world went tits up even the worst angler could eat trout !

Edited by chesters1
  • Haha 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

49 minutes ago, The Flying Tench said:

That's a great video, Cory. I think of you mainly as a sea angler. Do you lure fish fresh water as well?

I've got rods for and reels for most fishing styles Mr Tench. The only "sea fishing" I do these days (and I have not been out for a wee while, but this summer) is for the mullet. I use an Avon rod for that. It's been a while since I have been back home for any length of time to do some spinning in the lochs but I do enjoy it. 

I only ever caught on pike and that was by accident. I was fishing a worm and mis casted and got a bird's nest. When I had it all untangled I found I had a 5lber on. I did not even know it was there until I retrieved my tackle.

The guy has a really good channel. He fishes in an around Parry Sound, Ontario, near Halls Camp and Marina It looks like a wonderful spot but I have heard that the biting insects can be a bit on the aggressive side.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

That's interesting. I'd love to catch a mullet. I haven't done much fishing over the past year but I'm planning to stay in a b&b in Christchurch for 4 nights in early July - partly the Avon and Stour, but I was thinking of trying for a mullet as well in the tidal bit. The trouble is I can't stand too long because of back trouble, so trotting is tricky. I don't suppose ledger is any good for them? I've always seen people fish for them with a float.

john clarke

11 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

That's interesting. I'd love to catch a mullet. I haven't done much fishing over the past year but I'm planning to stay in a b&b in Christchurch for 4 nights in early July - partly the Avon and Stour, but I was thinking of trying for a mullet as well in the tidal bit. The trouble is I can't stand too long because of back trouble, so trotting is tricky. I don't suppose ledger is any good for them? I've always seen people fish for them with a float.

I use an Avon type float rod. Sometimes I use a controller float, or an Avon or a quill. Sometimes I put a little weight on and fish on the bottom. The only problem fishing off the bottom where I fish is crabs nicking your bait and catching little bass instead of mullet.

I don't like standing for too long. I have a little chair that I take. There is a public hard very close to me so I can walk to my spot and take my chair. It is only a ten minute walk.

Sounds a good set-up. Am I right in thinking you can catch mullet in two different types of water: a) salt water, such as harbours; and b). tidal stretches of rivers where the water probably may only have a little salt.

In the case of b) I think I'm right in saying you can catch them on coarse fishing baits such as maggot or bread, though I don't know if you would ever catch a mixed bag of, say, roach and mullet? In case a) am I right in thinking you would normally use sea baits, such as ragworm, though for some reason they will also take bread?  

john clarke

1 hour ago, The Flying Tench said:

Sounds a good set-up. Am I right in thinking you can catch mullet in two different types of water: a) salt water, such as harbours; and b). tidal stretches of rivers where the water probably may only have a little salt.

In the case of b) I think I'm right in saying you can catch them on coarse fishing baits such as maggot or bread, though I don't know if you would ever catch a mixed bag of, say, roach and mullet? In case a) am I right in thinking you would normally use sea baits, such as ragworm, though for some reason they will also take bread?  

You’ll get mullet in full sea water such as harbours right through to brackish water where the fresh water from a river is running into a tidal area such as Newport (Isle of Wight) Quay or Wootton Creek, that being said they do tend to follow the tide in to feed on the mud as it covers, you will often see them literally swimming in less than their own height so the dorsal fin is breaching or only just under the water.

Here is an article I book marked some time ago, give you some ideas but every where is slightly different.

https://www.seaangler.co.uk/fishing-tips/advanced/articles/how-to-catch-mullet-from-estuaries

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."