Would this work here?

corydoras

Seen them often splashing about in the shallows as the tide comes in in pompey harbour,never actually fished for them sinking to your waist in foul smelling mud not my idea of a great day.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

On 3/11/2021 at 9:29 PM, The Flying Tench said:

That's interesting. I'd love to catch a mullet. I haven't done much fishing over the past year but I'm planning to stay in a b&b in Christchurch for 4 nights in early July - partly the Avon and Stour, but I was thinking of trying for a mullet as well in the tidal bit. The trouble is I can't stand too long because of back trouble, so trotting is tricky. I don't suppose ledger is any good for them? I've always seen people fish for them with a float.

Hi Tench, have a look at this & watch till till the End re Hook Brand & Striking method.

You should be able to fish from the wall between the boats even if not a boat owner.

Here another similar but slightly different - Both however look like a nice few hours easy fishing.

Edited by Martin56
A few links joined since

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Thanks both of you for interesting videos. But it doesn't sound easy. I'm planning to go to Christchurch in June for some coarse fishing, and was wondering about an afternoon to target mullet. But it sounds as if I'd need to have a few sessions to find the fish, talk to local anglers etc. Still, that could be very worthwhile.

john clarke

18 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

Thanks both of you for interesting videos. But it doesn't sound easy. I'm planning to go to Christchurch in June for some coarse fishing, and was wondering about an afternoon to target mullet. But it sounds as if I'd need to have a few sessions to find the fish, talk to local anglers etc. Still, that could be very worthwhile.

We popped into christcurch harbour in our boat ,bloody tide rips through the channel we looked like we weren't moving lol

Never had much luck in tidal places on the south coast the worst being at hayling where some idiot named a place fishermans creek ,bloody mud was all that lived there ! Few kayaks  about then and the tide retreats so fast it would be easy to get grounded in the channels then have the fun of getting from there across many yards of mud to the firm ground ,perhaps in my 20's (again!) But not since 

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have caught mullet on light float tackle (think roach)  using red harbour ragworm. live sandhoppers, maggot and bread.   All work sometimes, but I suspect that casting float tackle  spooks the mullet fairly often.    I have had better results using a brown or green nymph,   about #12 and tied fairly sparsely -fished a la Skues  (read up anything by Skues, Ollie Kite or Frank Sawyer)  this method particularly effective in tidal creeks and channels where and when there is an appreciable current.

Direction of light with respect to fly and fish is important - ie if the fish is uplight of the fly and downlight of the angler - use "real image" tying.   if fish is  downlight of fly. use a silhouette pattern.      But be aware mullet are a very taxing fish on the fly - difficult to deceive, and your troubles only really begin when one is hooked - they are up there in the bonefish/tarpon class  for power and stamina.

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

On 3/13/2021 at 10:16 PM, Martin56 said:

You should be able to fish from the wall between the boats even if not a boat owner.

Not everywhere !     Brixham Harbour has two notices on display   One by the Lifeboat launching slip. telling people not to park there and threatening offenders with a penalty of about thirty quid,  The other notice is where the mullett swim, and says NO FISHING and warns offenders of fines up to £1000 - yes a grand.

Strange priorities - obstructing a potential life boat call-out apparently considered trivial beside the heinous crime of dangling a worm in the harbour.  Who makes these "rules" ?    

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2021 at 8:28 PM, The Flying Tench said:

If you hit 1 in 50 bites you are doing OK. I would find a creek to fish, the incoming tide will bring Mullet, and makes float tactics more rewarding.