Cliff Hatton aged 67

Vagabond

Met Cliff when I was looking for an illustrator (angler cartoonist with warped S.O.H  required to lighten the ramblings of a compulsive Rhadamanthinic piscator)    After 2 minutes I had hired him, after 3 minutes we were planning fishing trips together.    We fished for mullett in Essex (his place) Sussex (my place) and later the Severn and Wye for zander, pike barbel and salmon when Cliff had retired to Hay-on-Wye.  I'm so pleased Cliff fulfilled his ambition with a 12lb salmon on fly in 2019

After retiring as a teacher, Cliff took a part-time job as a promoter of angling gear.   Cut short at an angling show when a customer asked if you could stand up in the company's bivvies.

"Certainly!" said Cliff "Just dig a hole in the floor"  .....  Alas, sales managers are by definition humourless.

Farewell Cliff, Glad to have had rhe privilege of knowing you.

Been a bitter March, Two of my fishing buddies gone, and just heard my former university mentor has passed away.

Beginning to understand the concept of "Last man standing"

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Sorry to hear you've lost a mate.

They live on in our happy memories.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I’m very sad and surprised at this news, Cliff and his humour will be sorely missed.

Back in August 20I8 soon after he had moved to Hay on Wye, I asked Cliff to sign a couple of his books for me (All Beer & Boilees and all Wind & Water) and he invited me to stay over at his place and spend a day on the Wye with him and he could then sign his books for me at the same time; unfortunately I couldn’t go back then; but now I really wish that I had gone.

NB: He very kindly signed his books for me via snail mail instead.

RIP Cliff

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Sad 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)