Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I hear rumours that a small catfish was caught from the lower Severn last year and of course, it's five years since the 94lb monster cat was caught from the Severn at Ripple.

Sounds a lot like they're breeding, and if the Ripple fish has found a mate, that's millions of eggs per year.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps Its the 70's and 80's selfish moving fish again (why theres so many carp )  ,we found one in my old pond and dispatched it ,no-way could it have swum there and i doubt it crept in with a stocking so obviously it was put in deliberately ,saying that its pretty common people throwing fish in waters because they outgrow their tanks or just get bored keeping them as we saw with several turtles appearing when the ninja turtles fad ended.Unfortunately clubs are also to blame stocking fish without realising the consequences as we see with the true crucians becoming so rare

  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

 

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

 

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

 

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been hearing occasional whispers of cats in several rivers for a while. 

The Severn, Avon, Trent and Thames all seem to have a few fish, most likely from people who have driven to France or Spain and come back with a few kittens. If they are successfully breeding, things could get very interesting - especially if they grow large enough to eat otters and cormorants!

 

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ken L said:

Been hearing occasional whispers of cats in several rivers for a while. 

The Severn, Avon, Trent and Thames all seem to have a few fish, most likely from people who have driven to France or Spain and come back with a few kittens. If they are successfully breeding, things could get very interesting - especially if they grow large enough to eat otters and cormorants!

 

Or eastern europeans lol

  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

 

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

 

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

 

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Beats me why people who catch these invasive species release them!

These same idiots complaine about our indiginoius predators because they eat fish, calling for culls of them, and yet promote the introduction of wels catfish which are capable of decimating our waterways.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 3:43 PM, Ken L said:

Been hearing occasional whispers of cats in several rivers for a while. 

The Severn, Avon, Trent and Thames all seem to have a few fish, most likely from people who have driven to France or Spain and come back with a few kittens. If they are successfully breeding, things could get very interesting - especially if they grow large enough to eat otters and cormorants!

 

Don't know if you remember a guy coming on here some years ago, complaining that he had lost 1000s of cats from his 'fishery' in East Yorkshire during heavy flooding. He was asking for donations to compensate his loss. I remember saying he should be fined not compensated for polluting the surrounding waters. His fishery was surrounded by drains which fed into the River Hull, which in turn fed the Humber, and it's only a short trip up to the Trent and Yorkshire Ouse systems. Catfish have been caught, from parts of the Yorks Ouse for the last 6 or 7 years, and reports of them being caught from the Trent, as well as 'unstoppable' fish being hooked by barbel anglers. I believe it's illegal to return them to rivers, but some anglers do anyway. It's just a by-product of the obsession with overstocked commercial waters containing 'exotic' species, that leach into surrounding rivers.  

John.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gozzer said:

Don't know if you remember a guy coming on here some years ago, complaining that he had lost 1000s of cats from his 'fishery' in East Yorkshire during heavy flooding. He was asking for donations to compensate his loss. I remember saying he should be fined not compensated for polluting the surrounding waters. His fishery was surrounded by drains which fed into the River Hull, which in turn fed the Humber, and it's only a short trip up to the Trent and Yorkshire Ouse systems. Catfish have been caught, from parts of the Yorks Ouse for the last 6 or 7 years, and reports of them being caught from the Trent, as well as 'unstoppable' fish being hooked by barbel anglers. I believe it's illegal to return them to rivers, but some anglers do anyway. It's just a by-product of the obsession with overstocked commercial waters containing 'exotic' species, that leach into surrounding rivers.  

John.

I don't recall him, but I know about the cats being caught in the tidal Trent, and several have been seen in the Severn, even if not many have been caught.

 

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some stupid idiot(s) have illegally put catfish into a couple of waters near where I live. We’ve now got them in our stream fed estate lake to over 40lb and a Catfish of 55lb was caught from one of my other clubs lakes too, and regulars say that there are some even bigger ones in that lake.

They certainly were not put in by the clubs themselves.

Stupid is being polite when describing these plebs.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Link to post
Share on other sites

someone put cats in a farm res near me the res has a stream running into a smaller res which in turn feeds into a lake and so on now all 3 have smaller cats in so as the stream runs along through the fields into two more lakes and eventually the estuary i expect the cats will turn up in the next to lakes one of which the owner breeds ornamental wildfowl  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, frogwivnoname said:

someone put cats in a farm res near me the res has a stream running into a smaller res which in turn feeds into a lake and so on now all 3 have smaller cats in so as the stream runs along through the fields into two more lakes and eventually the estuary i expect the cats will turn up in the next to lakes one of which the owner breeds ornamental wildfowl  

Welcome to AnglersNet. There does seem to be a lot of dodgy stocking going on.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...