Meat Coils

Ken L

I do a lot of fishing close in where something like this isn't needed but might be doing a bit more longer range fishing this summer, and don't fancy sitting around when I have an empty hook.

Has anyone tried these things and are they any good?

s-l1600.jpg

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I’ve used them in the past and they work fine with the meat standing up to casting fair distances.

I do tend to use quite firm Luncheonmeat anyway.

Keith

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

3 hours ago, BoldBear said:

I’ve used them in the past and they work fine with the meat standing up to casting fair distances.

I do tend to use quite firm Luncheonmeat anyway.

Keith

Cheers Keith.

I'm not sure there's such a thing as "firm Luncheonmeat" when it's 30 degrees, but I'll give them a go and hope they work.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've never used them so can't comment on how effective they are.

Regarding the luncheon meat becoming soft and maybe breaking up in hot weather, if you keep it cool it will be solid enough to cast without an issue, either on the hook with a thorn, hard stem of grass under the bend of the hook , or the same if using a hair rig.

Obviously you can get bait/ meat stops out of the angling shops if the bankside freebies don't suit you.

Another thing i've heard mentioned to toughten up meat is to fry it a little to put a skin on it.  Never needed to do it myself but it does sound like an idea.

Goes like leather in the sun ,not vast chunks ofcourse but in 1/4" bits perfect ,if you want bigger use 2.

Being tight i use small bits or usually eat most then use the remains ,i like luncheon meat and ofcourse sprouts but to date never taken them fishing hmmm i wonder what they are like covered in chocolate?

PS the combination of two top class treats chocolate and pork scratchings dont hold up to expectation?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

SPAM is very soft and doesn't do well on a long cast. Plumrose is firmer, as is many if the cheaper brands. I don't like screws, they have a potential to further damage mouths, and personally the presentation is inferior to a hair rig secured by a piece of spaghetti,  grass or twig.

If I lose a few baits I don't worry it helps in encouraging fish to feed. I always use meat straight from the tin and on to the hook, I don't flavour or fry ...the initial smell you get often is too much for the fish to ignore.