Line Clip Puzzle

Del_R

I've never really used the line clips on my reels before now, other than to keep the line nice and neat in between sessions... In fact on all my reels getting the line behind the clip is a bit of a pain. That aside, I've been doing some feeder fishing on the Gloucester Sharpness canal and have been experimenting with clipping up in order to get the feeder to the same spot every time.

But my brain is hurting...

Let's say I cast to the centre of the canal, do I stop the line (with a finger) the moment my rig hits the water, and thus as the rig sinks (this canal is probably 20 feet deep) the rig swings towards me underwater. Or do I not let trap the line, and let the rig sink where it landed and strip out another 20 feet or so of line?

Either way, I now clip up.

If I do the first of my choices, the rig isn't where I want it to be, instead it's swung towards me under water? If I do the latter, when I recast the extra 20 feet of line will see my rig sailing past the centre channel, hit the water with a big splash, but instead of then sinking down and arcing towards the ideal point underwater, it'll now rest on the far side ledge.

The same puzzle would occur if I was trying to cast to a far island (not on the Gloucester Sharpness, of course, There are very few islands on the Gloucester canal). If I amazingly managed a cast that saw my rig land within, say a foot of the island, and the rig now sinks, say four feet. If I now clip up my next cast will be onto the island. How do I clip up to get that close again?

On the canal I gave up and just cast to the middle of the channel each time and caught some nice bream, but it's still puzzling me.

Cheers

Derek

I've never clipped up. I know people that do, even when targetting carp, but I just don't fancy hooking up a big fish and being unable to give line.

The canal is only 30m wide, so if you need to fish the centre, an accurate 15m lob shouldn't be hard to do consistently.

If you then let the feeder drop vertically on a loose line and then tighten up to it, once it hits bottom, you will be right where want to be.

Hopefully somebody will be along in a minute to give a contrary opinion and sing the praises of clipping up with a quick tutorial.

• Like 2

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi Ken. Yes, it was easy enough to cast accurately on the canal, it was more about trying (and failing) to find a methodology that might work at distance. I also feel nervous about having the line clipped up and a big fish taking my bait - although that's never happened yet!

Cheers

Derek

I'm pretty much of the same opinion as Ken, I really don't like fishing clipped up. Again, as Ken says, I see no point in clipping up on a canal. When fishing a larger venue at distance I find clipping up to bait an area with a spod or similar is ok.  

If you cast to your spot you can put a marker on your line so as to be sure your on your mark distance wise. Tie a bit of braid or similar onto your line at the desired spot.

• Like 1

A "Mis Cast" left in for a few minutes can often end with a Bonus fish.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!