Dog biscuits on the top

5 hours ago, Martin56 said:

Just Carp - Big & small so far, I only fish commercials these days but can still see the potential for Chub on the river!!

Sadly a thing of the past for me for health reasons.

Caster still takes some whacking!!

Martin, with you mentioning chub, last year I fished a club still water which has quite a lot of carp present.  I was having a little play round catching the carp as a change from my regular river fishing and I enjoyed using floating bread.  I set up a small bomb stopped by a shot several inches from the hook, although you could put the shot further down the line if you chose to.  It just means that when/if you wind right down the bread will only sink to the distance between the shot and itself.  That way I could cast out and the bread stayed on the surface with the bomb sliding down the line to the deck.  It was good as it stops your bread floating off in tow or wind.  Also, you can wind down and submerge the bread to whatever level in the water you wish.  I did catch quite a number of chub when slowly winding in and moving the bread down in the water.  I also caught them with the bread on the surface. They seemed to switch on mostly as the light began to fade.  Once it went dark I just waited until I felt a movement on the rod or line and struck which virtually always hooked the fish, so no need for starlighs or battery operated floats using that methond. 

• Like 1

I sometimes use anchored crust for Carp on waters where the wild fowl are being a nuisance or where I can’t let it drift too far out of my swim.

With a couple of turns of your reel handle It can be sunk out of view below the surface whenever the wildfowl get a bit closer and bought back up to the surface again once they have gone past; although sometimes when there’s a ripple it is often even better when it’s presented just under the surface.

A piece about half the size of your fist will be waffled down quite easily by a Carp.

Sunken-Surface-Bait.gif

I also used to make a slab of ‘boilee cake’ by mixing a standard boilee mix with a couple of extra eggs and either a pinch of baking powder or a little sodium cassenate and then putting the resulting mix on a tray in the oven until it turned into a cake like bait which floats well and is a bit more resilient than ordinary bread and will stay on your hook a lot longer.

you can also add colour and flavouring to the boilee cake mixture before cooking and I usually added a little ‘Bun Spice’ flavouring to mine.

Back in the 90s Pedigree Chum Mixers used to incorporate some gelatine in their makeup and if you pre-soaked them and then drained off the water and left them overnight they would swell up into soft milky coloured jelly baits which you could pop up off the bottom and we used to catch all kinds of quality fish using these. However I think pedigree changed their ingredients later and they didn’t seem to use gelatine so much (if at all) in their mixers.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)