Sea Fishing in Bournemouth/ Christchurch area

The Flying Tench

Hi

I'm a coarse angler thinking of having a try at some sea fishing. The bad news (for me) is that I know almost nothing about it, but the good news is that almost any fish is a first and so I'm easily pleased!

I'm going on a fishing break to the Bournemouth/ Christchurch area in July, and as well as coarse fishing I was thinking of having a crack at sea fishing, but would welcome some advice on what might be achievable and where to try. Just having coarse tackle I couldn't cope with strong currents.

The places I've unearthed on the web are: Bournemouth and Boscombe piers, Mudeford Quay, and Christchurch harbour. Which of these would be the best bet for a beginner, where I could expect to catch a fish or two over , say, half a pound? Or maybe you will suggest somewhere else? For health reasons I'd need to park nearby.

Thanks for your help

john clarke

On 6/9/2021 at 4:08 PM, The Flying Tench said:

Hi

I'm a coarse angler thinking of having a try at some sea fishing. The bad news (for me) is that I know almost nothing about it, but the good news is that almost any fish is a first and so I'm easily pleased!

I'm going on a fishing break to the Bournemouth/ Christchurch area in July, and as well as coarse fishing I was thinking of having a crack at sea fishing, but would welcome some advice on what might be achievable and where to try. Just having coarse tackle I couldn't cope with strong currents.

The places I've unearthed on the web are: Bournemouth and Boscombe piers, Mudeford Quay, and Christchurch harbour. Which of these would be the best bet for a beginner, where I could expect to catch a fish or two over , say, half a pound? Or maybe you will suggest somewhere else? For health reasons I'd need to park nearby.

Thanks for your help

Hi John,

Sad indication of the health of this forum, a few years ago you would have gotten numerous replies from locals.

I know that fishing from Bournemouth Pier can give you some good results on the type of tackle you have, equally I know that you can book a fishing ticket for a few quid, I don’t know however if the pier is open due to, well you can guess!

There is a Facebook site Here you might try.

Also might be worth a call to a local tackle shop, there might be one left.

Perhaps have a think about a charter boat, there are a few along that part of the Coast, most will provide tackle on request.

Whatever happens enjoy your time there.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Dont forget heavy freshwater tackle can be used but you will need a drop net to haul up far smaller fish than you can with a sea rod !Do they make "pier" rods anymore or was it just a marketing ploy to flog more pike rods lol

I had great fun using a pike rod and baited feathers down the side of folkestone pier ,at time landing more fish than the horizon bashers with their expensive Daiwa Moonrakers lol

Christchurch has a tremendous current until its top or bottom of the tide and i watched my mate in our dingy thrashing its 5hp outboard going no-where at mudeford .We fished pretty much the entire south coast over a couple of decades and apart from boat fishing or night fishing piers not had a great time  its so hit and miss ,ditch the rods and detect bournmouth beach you may have more luck lol

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

Bournemouth Beach? Well not sure about that, plenty of grockels to keep you entertained. Used to live down there and one top venue was Hopes Nose, a rocky outlet that was full of every species, mainly attracted by the sewage out fall, but what's a few panty liners and condoms to worry about when hauling pollock? 

Mudeford has a fierce tidal rip, but catch the ferry to Hengitsbury Head, and its good fishing.

Boscombe pier, used to be good, and plenty of water too.

Used to have a small boat and fish the Dart estuary, that was good, beautiful place, perhaps you could hire a boat John, or invest in a good qualty inflatable, but NOT a Li Lo. ha!

Thanks, both of you. I have a bad back which limits me a bit, so I won't be buying an inflatable. Blackbird, how accessible is Hope's Nose? I can only walk up to , say, 200 yards.  I may well end up fishing a pier partly because, as a beginner, I can see what others are doing - though I'll check out Hengistbury Head which Blackbird has already recommended.

Chesters, the baited feathers certainly sounds fun. What would I bait them with? Does that approach only work when the mackerel are in, or does it work more generally? By the way, I've invested in a drop net!

I'll start a separate thread about the best rig for a beginner off a pier,

john clarke

Bait them with anything available mackeral is oily so will provide a scent trail ,its two advantages one is bait like a normal rig and the feathers will attract fish who use their eyes .mackeral as you drop down mackeral when you retieve ,mackeral are about more than people think if they have a season that just means theyre easier to catch lo!

They come in spring and leave in autumn but i think as the climate warms as we have seen with other species they will live here longer maybe one day they will breed here ?

PS if you buy ragworm they will bite back so go for lugworm if your wary.

Dried black lug is tops but expensive but stays on the hook  ,forgot to mention mackeral juice will taint everything even a bottle of fabreze wont remove the pong if you get it on your clothes or bags i can smell it on a reel bag washed several times and not used for ten years!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yes it can  but best kept cool for obvious reasons its not dried as in dry but most of the juice has gone ,no ice block freezing service where you are going? One of these and a couple of ice blocks will do (fishing related bags in camo available)

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/built-lunch-bag-with-removable-ice-gel-pack-black-medium

As with mackeral its hard to shift the pong from the material and you may have to pre order bait so phone round the tackle shops before you go

Edited by chesters1

• 10 months later...

Sorry I hadn't seen this,look at Christchurch Angling Centre videos on youtube,contact them,they are super helpful,I go down for three weeks family holiday a year,fish most evenings(coarse),but fish left style for wrasse,blennies,gobies etc mainly at Poole,but at Swanage,Weymouth too.....

Edited by Whitty

• 2 months later...