Hemp and tares for roach in summer

The Flying Tench

I've just returned from an unsuccessful hemp and tares outing on a new water, so it's prompted me to ask you folk some questions.  I've only used it successfully about three times, and that was in a Thames lock cut where I know a lot of other people used the approach. So my first question is 'Is hemp in particular a bait the fish have to get used to?'

A second question is whether the approach is equally effective in all types of water: slow river, faster river, canal, lakes.

I guess the third question is a general one 'Have you discovered any tricks of the trade with this approach?'

I, and I am sure others, will be interested in any advice you can give

john clarke

Good Evening Tench, I've never really fished with Hemp on the Hook but I have had success fishing Caster on the hook over a bed of Hemp.

Burying a size 18 inside a Single Caster is best for Roach as they can be Finnicky (even better, a size 16 Fine wire if Casters are big enough)

Stick the hook point in the Blunt end of the Caster then work it round so it's Buried inside.

(You can spin the hemp out a bit with groundbait)

Fish are known to mistake the Shot for hemp on occasions I'm told, so you might encounter some false bites with Hemp on the hook. (Just a small consideration if missing bites)

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

When hemp first became plentiful enough to attract the masses you used lead wire (shows how big some floats were) instead of shot ,you also had Tares (pidgeon food to the masses) that suddenly became popular but i never had much luck on those nor any cereal bait ,always preferred  bread or worms but occasionally i stretched out to a pint of maggots which were in and out of the fridge in small quantities until the maggots got so thin they died .It must have been great for the maggots left behind to hear the exploits of the ones returning to the container after a session

A bag of groundbait would last a year i dont help myself ,fish come a long way down the list when fishing!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I used to have some "Newark Needle Floats" which had a pin attached top & bottom 12 inch or so from the hooklength.

You got 3 different size floats with 3 different weight pins & the floats were "Quick Change" Via a small spring loaded plastic clip in the (usually orange/red) coloured tip.

They never really caught on, but did a job for a time!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Yes i have a couple left ,the difficult bit back then was finding replacement tube ,it was very thin and had to be tight enough to squeeze the line tight as the top was just a bit of plastic with a notch ,ok on paper not so good in use as most stuff isnt its out to catch the angler not the fish!

I have a big selection of floats but tend to favour one then replace it when it breaks most of the rest haven't been used

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I’ve tried this a few times in the past, the times it’s worked I was constantly scattering a few grains in and fishing on the drop up in the water. By constantly I mean a dozen or so grains every few seconds. It’s hard work and (for me at least) doesn’t always work! When it does, it does seem to produce bigger fish, and when they get going it gets like a frenzy. 

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I can never be bothered with hemp and tares but have seen some anglers having a huge success when using them.

Only the other day I was talking to a chap on a small still water and he was catching a lot of roach and rudd on tares.  The fish were all small to average size but no idea what he caught after i'd gone.

I prefer to use maggot and caster and have had some decent results.

• Like 1

I usually use caster, Pinkies, maggots, bread punch or small redworms too; but one day I was fishing the Great Ouse a few miles west of Cambridge near Huntingdon and that day the fish just wouldn’t touch anything else but Hemp, and I had to scrounge some hemp from the other guys around me.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

My dad is a big fan of hemp and tares for roach.

He feeds hemp, among with one or two tares on a little and often basis and fishes the tares on a stick float - usually a bit latter in the year than this though.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've always liked using hemp, with or without tares, but I've used hemp more often over the last couple of years, mainly because of the explosion in the bleak population on my local rivers. It doesn't stop the odd bleak, or even minnow, 'having a go' but it reduces the chances dramatically. I've had some good catches of roach, dace, with a smattering of chub on hemp, and tare, but usually a bit later in the season. Usually I catch 'on the drop', with regular loose feeding, but in the deeper slower stretches, I've found that after the fish have been 'on' for a while, I can up the feed slightly, and go deeper, and hold back, or lay on, and pick up a better stamp of fish, especially if I put a tare on.

It's one of those baits that can take time for the fish to respond, and when they do, it can be a very busy method, feed, cast, strike, feed, land fish, feed, cast, and so on, just a dozen or so grains max' each time. I often plumb the swim, and then drip feed while I have a coffee, and sarnie, before actually fishing.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John