'Where are the fish in summer?

The Flying Tench

I've just read an angling times article which says they will be in the fastest water. I don't dismiss this at all. The article is mainly about chub and barbel, and it seems to be particularly about times when the river is low and flow is lacking. But how true is it more generally? For example, I believe (with some evidence, though not a lot) that in summer the fish won't generally be in the lock cuts but out in the main river. But, against this, I know of one Thames lock cut that seems to fish very well for roach and bream in summer.

And how far will they go to get flow? Is it just a question of moving into the middle of the river, or will they travel a mile or two to a faster stretch?

john clarke

Fish like Barbel & Chub may well be still "Cleaning Themselves Off" in the fast, oxygenated  water after spawning. 

Personally, I reckon all fish will sense when to move to where there is more Oxygen (May be a mile or so - or maybe to just another bend)

• Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

After they have spawned the fish usually hang around the spawning areas for a spell.  The spawning areas are the faster oxygenated areas.   As the summer progresses the fish may spread out and occupy a lot of other deeper slower areas, even in low water conditions. I'm talking chub and barbel there.  Roach tend to stick to the slower paced deeper water for the biggest part.....that's what i've found, others may have differring experiences and opinions.

Inlets, even small ones  can be hotspots in low water also.

• Like 2

Really hard to generalise I think, each river will be different, maybe even different stretches of the same river will be different. Each species also prefer different things. Not a very helpful answer I’m afraid!

• Like 2

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music