Cheap reels

S63

Gentlemen, don't confuse 'cheap' reels, with 'inexpensive' ones, there can be a difference in meaning.

I can only repeat that the 'Crivit' reels I've used regularly for the last couple of years, have been, and still are, decent reels that feel smooth, with a good drag, and have been exceptional value for money. More so since I bought them both second hand.??

John.

• Like 2

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Even if all reels do hold line as Chester’s said; some reels hold line better than others and without it spilling off of the spool too easily or too hard, and some have the added benefit of being able to facilitate further casting and/or faster retrieving, and being able to release and recover their line at different rates and under different tensions, and some reels are more suited to heavier or finer lines etc. 

But Chesters is basically correct if your not counting the various addon capabilities of a reel ?

Perhaps we should define reels as line holders with benefits? ?

When someone talks about a reels 'Cranking Power' it makes me laugh, as no one in their right mind winds or cranks in when fish are taking line, or not moving; unless they are snagged up. Unless by using the phrase ‘Cranking Power’ you just mean just retrieving your lead or your feeder.

Blackbird I think you are being wound up a little by Chesters; just stop biting, he can be a bit of a windup merchant sometimes; but he’s a great guy really, honest ?

Anyway, nice to have you aboard Blackbird ?

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Thanks 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

9 hours ago, Blackbird said:

Having a clutch to slow down a big running fish, having cranking power to retrieve, to be able to cast smoothly , shall I go on? But what's the point trying to talk any sort of sense Dave, you never have and never will agree to what is blindingly obvious to the rest of Humanity.

It's been you life's work ?

I didnt see a clutch on that box reel

PS i did mention clutches earlier, winches have them aswell?

Not sure what "cranking power" that box has perhaps only line holders that fish the severn have it? 

Is "cranking power" universal or do shimano or pen have their own standard ,if i needed more cranking power should it be cheaper if it was bought in bulk? I could then distribute it amongst line holders that perhaps lost some due to UV from the sun or perhaps moonlight if i night fish? I await your learned advice

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think as with most things "you get what you pay for", but ocassionally you can pick up something that bit special for less than the price expected.  However, that is usually down to special offer or a closing down sale or similar of a not so normally cheap item.

I think a reel with a low rrp isn't going to be up to much, but it may be good for a particular purpose where only a shortish life expectancy is required.

Someone mentioned the old shimano 5010s I think, they were great reels, only bug bear for me was the little drop back of the handle when tightening up to a leger.  I got shut of mine and got the next generation, the 500gtes and a pair of 8000gtes which have an instant anti reverse.

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

Very true Tigger, the 5010 were of an era when there was some play in the check, not that really is a problem for me as I use them for barbel, no need for acute precision.  At least Chesters1 crab lines won't have any such problems lol.

Was out yesterday and arrived as a chap was playing a decent Chub, did the honours with a piccy, and noticed he had a 5010 clipped on to the new Freespirit ctx 2.25 t.c rod, was impressed. Have you any knowledge of these? Think they might be the cheaper versions, with a rrp of about £147.  I use Torrix 1.75 11 ft mainly.

7 hours ago, Blackbird said:

Very true Tigger, the 5010 were of an era when there was some play in the check, not that really is a problem for me as I use them for barbel, no need for acute precision.  At least Chesters1 crab lines won't have any such problems lol.

Was out yesterday and arrived as a chap was playing a decent Chub, did the honours with a piccy, and noticed he had a 5010 clipped on to the new Freespirit ctx 2.25 t.c rod, was impressed. Have you any knowledge of these? Think they might be the cheaper versions, with a rrp of about £147.  I use Torrix 1.75 11 ft mainly.

I sometimes wish I had kept hold of my 510s and 8010s as I really liked them, I even had a brand new boxed 5010 as I only used two rods at most and had three reels.

Keeping them would have been daft really though as for the biggest part of my fishing, which is trotting for barbel and chub I use a centrepin reel so they would only be sat in a drawer with my other fixed spool reels anyhow.

I'm not clued up on the free spirit rods although I know several people who have them and think quite highly of them.

I have a few different makes of heavier rods but only use them very rarely.  Legering bores me and i'd rather catch one barbel on the float than lots on the leger rod.  Sitting waiting for the tip to bend over isn't active enough for me.

I actualy visited harrisons and checked out the torrix rods along side the chimeras and I opted to buy a pair of each no1 and no2 in the chimeras, I just preferred them.  Harrisons let me buy them direct out of their workshop under arches. I prefered their factory rods to any custom ones I had seen.  The screw down fuji reel seat rather than the screw up ones which seem to be favoured by most rod builders was a big plus for me.

By the way,i'm not slating leger fishing, it just doesn't do it for me is all.

Cheers for that, I get the boring ledger bit, I often think I should get a grip and get the float rod out, much more exciting, and considering that was the only best I used to fish I must do it again. As barbel and  chub will be my main target, rod choice is important, I have in my armoury an old but mostly unused Drennan Mk2Tench rod with added fugi reel screw fitting, a 14ft Drennan float rod, and a Daiwa 13ft match rod, and probably some other long forgotten gear. Suppose the tench rod will be the one to choose, with a 4000 reel c/w 6 to 8lb mono. 

You are blessed with some brilliant trotting rivers, whilst I have deep lower rivers like the Severn and Warks  Avon...but checking out a new stretch on the middle Avon, so hopefully will give it a go. 

Watch this space!!

1 hour ago, Blackbird said:

Cheers for that, I get the boring ledger bit, I often think I should get a grip and get the float rod out, much more exciting, and considering that was the only best I used to fish I must do it again. As barbel and  chub will be my main target, rod choice is important, I have in my armoury an old but mostly unused Drennan Mk2Tench rod with added fugi reel screw fitting, a 14ft Drennan float rod, and a Daiwa 13ft match rod, and probably some other long forgotten gear. Suppose the tench rod will be the one to choose, with a 4000 reel c/w 6 to 8lb mono. 

You are blessed with some brilliant trotting rivers, whilst I have deep lower rivers like the Severn and Warks  Avon...but checking out a new stretch on the middle Avon, so hopefully will give it a go. 

Watch this space!!

One of the clubs i'm a member of has some stretches of the severn and i'm hoping to get down there for a session or two of trotting sometime this year.  I'm sure there's lots of great trotting on the severn, maybe higher up river than where your based?

Regarding rods for trotting for barbel and chub etc, everyone has their own ideas as to what they think is best.

For me personally I have a number of rods that I like to use. I have used the drennan super tench rod and it was very good, but, I prefer a lighter faster actioned rod and the first normark mkIl avenger is brilliant.  Also, I very much like the drennan acolytes in the plus models of 13 and 14ft, then there are the browning spheres, daiwa RS PF rods, again in 13 and 14 ft, there are loads to choose from.  I like using my hardy 11ft avon rods also, they are the only avon rod that i've ever come across that have been suitable for trotting.  They are great in hit and hold swims and really do bend into a frightening curve with a chunky fish on!

At the end of the day you just use whatever you fancy.  

For me, the reel has got to be a centrepin, once you get the hang of using one they are so much more fun than using a fixed spool, well, imo they are, but, there are more who would dissagree with me than would agree.

Forgot to mention the line, I use 4 and 8lb mono on the odd occassions, but for the biggest part I use 6lb straight through to a 14s microbarb hook. 

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 2

I like both trotting and legering and trundling baits along the bottom after Barbel but I fish streams and small rivers and often there’s too much streamer weed in the swim to allow me to trot; however I thoroughly enjoy trotting when I can.

I rarely need to use a feeder in the small streams and rivers that I frequent and usually just use a light 4 or 5SSG or half ounce link leger, and nine times out of ten I’ll be touch legering.

Heres a pic of my favourite barbel stream which I won’t name for obvious reasons it now has a publicity ban on it together with most of our other waters that I fish.

MF-Upstream800x600.jpg

Anyway it’s nice to see another angler who enjoys chasing barbel and Chub on this forum.

Keith

Keith

• Thanks 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

12 minutes ago, BoldBear said:

I like both trotting and legering and trundling baits along the bottom after Barbel but I fish streams and small rivers and often there’s too much streamer weed in the swim to allow me to trot; however I thoroughly enjoy trotting when I can.

I rarely need to use a feeder in the small streams and rivers that I frequent and usually just use a light 4 or 5SSG or half ounce link leger, and nine times out of ten I’ll be touch legering.

Heres a pic of my favourite barbel stream which I won’t name for obvious reasons it now has a publicity ban on it together with most of our other waters that I fish.

MF-Upstream800x600.jpg

Anyway it’s nice to see another angler who enjoys chasing barbel and Chub on this forum.

Keith

Keith

I've seen that picture a number of times Keith, but I never tire of seeing it, looks great ?.

• Like 1