Cheap reels

S63

Now here's a (Relatively) Cheap Rod. I have 2 of these, as well as a spare top & middle section which fits either one.

I paid £60 from tackle shop for one of them, then won the other on eBay for £70 with the spare sections. Very good "Through Action" Rods & fish (Almost) like a Tippy Match Rod for small stuff, & bends to the Butt when you get a Donkey on with great Stopping Power!!

Think the Black thing in the pic's is just the Landing Net Handle?

DSCN1972.thumb.JPG.ff6d939431544affadf4a4996081c54b.JPGDSCN1974.thumb.JPG.1bc5bddcbb7059252fc3b5962e57aac0.JPG 

DSCN1975.thumb.JPG.a4e8860505f73a10e7fbe43ef4dd461f.JPG

Edited by Martin56
Pic added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

2 hours ago, BoldBear said:

I like both trotting and legering and trundling baits along the bottom after Barbel but I fish streams and small rivers and often there’s too much streamer weed in the swim to allow me to trot; however I thoroughly enjoy trotting when I can.

I rarely need to use a feeder in the small streams and rivers that I frequent and usually just use a light 4 or 5SSG or half ounce link leger, and nine times out of ten I’ll be touch legering.

Heres a pic of my favourite barbel stream which I won’t name for obvious reasons it now has a publicity ban on it together with most of our other waters that I fish.

MF-Upstream800x600.jpg

Anyway it’s nice to see another angler who enjoys chasing barbel and Chub on this forum.

Keith

Keith

Filth...

I must admit I am rather obsessed with big barbel, so most of my grear in the last few years has been rods that will cope with the heavier expectation of fish. Not that I go OTT 1.75 rods 12 lb mainline for the most part. Any barbel nowadays down seem to be isolated females, that cannot breed due to lack of males, that is very apparent down this way. 

I do not put a lot of time in on the bank, but prefer to try and fish areas that not rammed with anglers, however no matter what you do to keep it low key, there is always someone who goes rogue and broadcasts certain spots. This does both angler and fish no good at all. 

Because my attention span is that of a goldfish I need to see some sort of action, if only a few indication I have fish in the peg, be it line bites or playing with the bait, I reckon I know when a big girl is mooching around, the tell tell indications on the tip, and just that sense, I cannot put it into words, but you will know...

That is the way with big barbel, they are a fine and worthy adversery, but not for me pre baiting for days on end, I want to give her something she can't refuse, and what better than a cube of spam fresh out of the tin?  I mean come on how many of us can resist a little taste when you open a tin?

Neither can she.

Edited by Blackbird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blackbird I prefer to fish the smaller rivers and streams, and I’m fairly lucky in that the small and often crystal clear chalk streams and rivers which I fish have a large population of Barbel of all sizes up to mid doubles; and also hold quite a lot of decent sized Chub, Roach, Dace and perch; (contrary to a lot of anglers ideas of small streams and what they hold). NB: You can see one of these small streams/rivers behind me in my avatar.

In these small streams and rivers I only go up to 10lb line when I’m fishing in floodwaters and I am usually only using 8lb line and sometimes 6lb line in low water conditions, although like a few good lines they are often a slightly higher breaking strain than they advertise.

If I’m trotting on the pin I usually use either 5lb or 6lb line, and the late Keith Speer (who also used to fish on these small streams & rivers before he died) occasionally used to use even finer lines when he trotted for his Barbel.

When Im trundling or legering Im usually using an original 1.7lb Greys Prodigy SX Barbel rod (made before they went over to being made in China) or a 1.5lb version of this same rod; and in flood conditions I will sometimes move up to a 1.5lb/2lb Greys Multi-tip rod (with the 2lb tip section fitted).

When Im trotting a float for beards and Chub I use either my 12ft Drennan Tench Float rod (MkIV) or a Hardy Marksman specimen Float rod.

Tight lines

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

10 hours ago, Blackbird said:

I must admit I am rather obsessed with big barbel, so most of my grear in the last few years has been rods that will cope with the heavier expectation of fish. Not that I go OTT 1.75 rods 12 lb mainline for the most part. Any barbel nowadays down seem to be isolated females, that cannot breed due to lack of males, that is very apparent down this way. 

I do not put a lot of time in on the bank, but prefer to try and fish areas that not rammed with anglers, however no matter what you do to keep it low key, there is always someone who goes rogue and broadcasts certain spots. This does both angler and fish no good at all. 

Because my attention span is that of a goldfish I need to see some sort of action, if only a few indication I have fish in the peg, be it line bites or playing with the bait, I reckon I know when a big girl is mooching around, the tell tell indications on the tip, and just that sense, I cannot put it into words, but you will know...

That is the way with big barbel, they are a fine and worthy adversery, but not for me pre baiting for days on end, I want to give her something she can't refuse, and what better than a cube of spam fresh out of the tin?  I mean come on how many of us can resist a little taste when you open a tin?

Neither can she.

Round these parts the majority of barbel are between 3 and 10lb.  

There has been a lot of smaller barbel of less than a pound and smaller up to 2lb coming out over the last couple of years.

I have had a good few of 10 to 12lbers amongst the fish i've had.  However my heaviest fish was caught legering about 15yrs ago now and my heaviest caught whilst trotting was one of 13. 4  and the last one was 13 7, lets face it, those fish are just tiddlers for anglers in other parts of the country.  The trent has been producing lots of whoppers for many years now and there are plenty other rivers with much larger specimens than we have in our local'ish rivers.  

I would very much like to catch a propper chunk on the float, sadly I don't think they exist in the waters I fish.

Although, to be honest, i'm happy enough catching the sizes I do ....I think lol.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a reel (and rod) that was very cheap, they are replicas of those I made in the 1940s.

There was a war on, no tackle in the shops, and at eight years old I couldn't afford them anyway.  My parents didn't believe in fishing, nor pocket money.

My mates in the late nineteen nineties didn't believe it either - so I got a nine year old primary schoolboy to make the replicas under my supervision, and fish with it.  Both he and I caught a lot of 4lb plus tench on them -my best was 5-6

The rod was rowan or mountain ash - the yggdrasil of Scandinavian folklore - It is the best British wood I know of for rods.

Yggdrasil the Tenchslayer.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Makes my crab !ine look stone age lol

Its not the tackle its the user that counts and it doesnt have to cost the earth ,a cheap line holder and fish leader do fine

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 1 month later...

I laughed when I read the opening few pages of this thread,if you are fishing big leads on the Severn,Trent or Wye it would be wise to buy a reel with strong gearing,just to cope with heavy leads/feeders in strong flows,however I have barbel fished a lot,but most of my chosen venues are smaller less powerful rivers where a 4000 sized reel is best,with most situations easily covered by leads up to three ounces,normally half that or less,'cranking' power was an issue to me when I fished the Thames,normally back then I used a Shimano Stradic 4000 GTM,this is a rear drag reel and when the river was carrying water and a three ounce feeder was required the reel didn't like winding these in,yet a cheap front drag 4000 Shimano (£15) horsed it in easily,now all my reels have gone front drag,the drag is better,the winding power is there,happy days. Whilst on summer holidays in Dorset my wife,youngest son(18) and I enjoy a bit of lrf for mini species,mainly in Poole Harbour,but Swanage too,Weymouth on occasion,anyway I was looking for a cheap  500 sized reel for my son,well I ended up paying silly money(£5 each I think)for a reel with supposedly 12 bearings,well,it looks ok,but it obviously isn't a Shimano,but we have used them now for three summers, three weeks away,probably around twenty shortish sessions,I rinse them off after each session,they still run nicely,line lay isn't the best,but it's not that bad either,horses for courses so to speak,as I could spend sixty or seventy quid easily,but because of the rugged nature of the fishing the price seemed excellent...

• Like 2