Cheap reels

S63

It can also be about how often you fish, & the gear one already has!

If you're fishing 3 or 4 times+ a week then chances are you'll need better (dearer) reels.

I'm still using 3 Grice & Young Centrepins (all from 50's & early 60's) Cos that's how I like to fish even on Commercial Matches, mixed with Pole & Feeder of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I destroyed with great pleasure my cheap nasty "boys" centerpin in about 1962? And never went back ,i have though tried better quality pins (being truthful grices were not top shelf even then ? ) tried pukka ones from many companies over the years picking them up to sell on .It doesnt seem logical they are used! in the mainstream they are gone and only seen in the hands of a tiny minority in my years as bailiff in a splendid almost carp free pond i only ever spotted one ,i saw more intrepids than pins !

River fishing i just use a abu 1044 theres no room to lay line out for a cast to go under a tree and its pointless going in the water theres hardly a stretch long enough to start a pin rolling as to resistance a closed face has far less than a pin your not turning a drum the line just comes off the spool sideways over your finger so you can slow it down or trap the line to strike ,perhaps i am missing something or perhaps they excell at a distance but pins to me are a thing of the past ,the ONLY one i still have (outside of intrepids in my collection or in boxes upstairs bought as a bundle spedias etc)  is an old one that turns so you can cast fixed spool wise and thats only because i bought it myself before an uncle took pity on me and gave me his old intrepid when he bought a new one.I then destroyed my tin one but kept the other fora "backup" that was never used

Cant say i'm old fashioned its the opposite of that i used them before modern stuff was common perhaps i am new fashioned ? LOL

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Fixed spool engineering is quite complex and calls for quality components and material to give satisfactory service. For me the reel is the most important item we use, its the work horse, the engine. A hard fighting barbel wilĺ test any gear, for me the Shimano 5010 and 6010 are the perfect reel old now but bomb proof. 

I have a old Shakespeare Golden Eagle pin Martin, that I have used once, that was made by Grice and Young, and although not the best, like most old gear is getting quite collectable. 

• Like 1

A reel is just a line holder ,you and the rod do the work.i have used "quality" reels and most is in the eye of the beholder i am afraid .99% of reels just need looking after to last out their warranty and i have had a few named reels from renowned  companies that gave out before the warranty because most are just rebadged chinese reels built to a price

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Well yes if you fall into the trap of buying rebadged Chinese reels you will come unstuck. I think you and most of us know what is a genuine model. Don't agree with you idea that a reel is merely a line holder, it really might be if you are not fishing for hard fighting species.

Although I have never bought any cheap and nasty reels for myself; and I still haven’t; there are a few cheap reels out there that are quite good like the cheap reel that I won on another forum and which is pictured below (NB: the forum in question doesn't exist any more)

This seven bearing reel (which I originally gave to my wife but later put into use at my holiday caravan) and which cost very little; has been used a great deal over the last 10 to 15 years and has caught countless Tench and smallish Carp from the lake there with absolutely no sign of it failing at all; and it still runs very smoothly.

IMG-20201102-105733.jpg

I’ve now come to the conclusion that not all cheap reels are rubbish and I was quite surprised by this myself. Although by choice I would still only buy top of the range or ‘near’ top of the range reels myself; but this one was just a prize I had won on a forum and as it happens was surprisingly not a bad reel at all.

Maybe not quite as good as the reels I’ve bought myself and which I paid a lot more for; but it was certainly not a bad reel at all.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I have bought tat too, and some awful Mitchell reels, after they sold out. Many get seduced by counting ball bearings, the quality of material is everyhing imo. I like Okuma, they offer a huge range and their baitrunners  are excellent. I bought some good Shimano reels and Penn too, in readiness for when my Shimano 5010s  pack in, the new ones are still in their boxes.

Plastic is plastic ,big names use rebadged chinese (or Korean or indian etc) reels ,they may send a rep out to china to make a couple of adjustments to the mould but all the basic moving parts will be standard !a name on a reel means nothing today they are bought at the lowest cost possible thats why spares are unavailable in most cases  .The production line churns out thousands and only the graphics are different .You can get lucky and get a brilliant reel i  bought a splendid pair of kiddey? (Cant remember spelling) sea ree!s they lasted a few years then i snapped a bail arm spring ,the company (the distributer in UK)didnt carry any spares but sent a returned reel so i could harvest the parts.Its not new companies bought in reels from low cost countries and rebadged them since the 50's

If this "right to repair" takes off hopefully companies will be forced to hold parts even if it was on the Honda 90 basis where complete reels (whole bikes in the case of honda) are bought and stripped for a spares supply. It makes sense in this throw away society to prolong sending fixable things to landfill as !ong as possible.The downside is bearings plastic isnt strong enough to have bearings sweated in so thats the weak point the bearings can come loose and they have to be bodged with glue to hold them fast

Few companies will spend millions designing reels and buying or making all the parts when they can just import predesigned mass made perfectly fine (to just make the warranty) reels far cheaper.

Long gone are retailer spare parts kits !ike the old days of mitchell or intrepid ,abu and daiwa but theres always the "premium" range most knocked up in japan (no longer the prestigue maker anymore) but if your very expensive reel lasts 3 times longer than a cheap one costing £20 your out of pocket you only get the snob value

Edited by chesters1

2 hours ago, BoldBear said:

Although I have never bought any cheap and nasty reels for myself; and I still haven’t; there are a few cheap reels out there that are quite good like the cheap reel that I won on another forum and which is pictured below (NB: the forum in question doesn't exist any more)

This seven bearing reel (which I originally gave to my wife but later put into use at my holiday caravan) and which cost very little; has been used a great deal over the last 10 to 15 years and has caught countless Tench and smallish Carp from the lake there with absolutely no sign of it failing at all; and it still runs very smoothly.

IMG-20201102-105733.jpg

I’ve now come to the conclusion that not all cheap reels are rubbish and I was quite surprised by this myself. Although by choice I would still only buy top of the range or ‘near’ top of the range reels myself; but this one was just a prize I had won on a forum and as it happens was surprisingly not a bad reel at all.

Maybe not quite as good as the reels I’ve bought myself and which I paid a lot more for; but certainly not a bad reel at all.

Keith

I remember an old guys mrs continually untangling his line when i was bailiff ,he had returned to fishing after retiring in his 70's ,the air was continually blue so i offered to check his setup it was fine ,i walked off then the cursing started so i went back .

I watched and spotted the problem his reel was brand new (his rod fiberglass no doubt from his prior fishing hobby) and compared to the reels of the day extremely free running ,he was treating the reel like he did last time he used one ,unfortunatly today they move very easily so he (or rather his mrs) just put the rod on the rest and the handle slowly rotated under its own weight letting the line go loose so it billowed and got tangled he said when i explained the problem he thought the "clicker" was broken i had to explain the anti reverses are silent today so he probably didnt realise it wasnt on !ol

• Like 1