First river session help.

Simon8132

So after more than 30 years of sea fishing and Stillwater coarse fishing I am finally going to try uk river fishing. I am booked into Lucksall campsite on the wye for 2 weeks in July where I’m hoping to try for Barbel, Chub and perhaps a bit of lure fishing for a summer pike. I am looking for advice on what line I should load my reels up with, mono or braid? And what sort of weight leads and feeders am I likely to need. Any other useful advice appreciated.

I have very little experience on the river Wye however the first thing that I would do when I get there is visit the local tackle shop and pick their brains and get their advice and some bait from them. 

Failing that I would most probably be using line of between 8 to 10lb (or even 12lb if it's very rocky) with just enough lead (either on a feeder or on its own) to hold still in the current so that your bait will just trundle a couple of feet downstream as soon as you lift your rodtip (every few minutes).

For hook bait I would probably choose either hair rigged pellets (lamprey, crab or halibut pellets) or a spicey flavoured luncheon meat or even a bunch of maggots; on hooks between a size 12 up to a size 8 or a size 6 if you are using larger pieces of meat. I would also probably coat my hook bait in a soft fishmeal paste if bites are a bit scarce so that you emit a flavour trail leading from downstream up to your baited hook. 

Plus I'd take plenty hemp and small pellets and/or maggots for use as loose feed or in a feeder. 

I much prefer to touch leger with just one rod but It depends on the number of takes you are liable to have and what the river in front of you is like. If you are only getting one or two barbel a day then it might be worth using two rods but be careful as a barbel can pull your rod in fairly easily when given the chance. 

Alternatively you can do some trotting depending on what tackle you have.

Of course this might not be the best method used by the locals on the Wye so I would make sure I did a bit of homework before I fished. 

Ive heard through the grapevine that the barbel are a bit shy at the moment on the Wye and not many are currently being caught but this could change in the coming days of course. 

Anyway Best of luck and tight lines

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Hi Simon, Boldbear has put some very good points & you're obviously no mug when it comes to Coarse Fishing, so might I suggest a legered, Quickstopped  Lobworm over some Hemp & Casters down the edge for starters!! Then go from there!!

Always try the easy fishing first. Yes, tackle shops are a good source of info (but they're also in it for the money)

Maybe that's just the Yorkshireman coming out again Lol!!

Aye - Stagnation 'at Lung Vitinery!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Wow! What a place to start river fishing! The Wye is a brilliant river, but it is also a challenging river if you are not used to it. It is big, wide and fast. The water level goes up and down by, I think, 12 feet, so you are coping with steep banks in many places.  I've only fished it 3 times. The first time was in winter in Hereford where I went to try and catch some roach, and I didn't catch one! I was totally foiled by the depth, width and pace of the water, which I hadn't expected. Though of course in summer the flow may be less, though I think you'll need some flow if the barbel are to play ball. The last 2 times it was for barbel, and I did catch each time, though I'm very much a beginner.

I would definitely use braid (12lbs bs?) for the main line to minimise the pressure of the current. For hook length I think I used 8 lb breaking strain soft braid, but the tackle shop would advise. Personally, I couldn't handle two rods on the Wye, but that may be me. I seem to remember I used 2 and 3 oz feeders, which I got from the local tackle shop.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

john clarke

Deffo', one rod to start with, I've nearly been Speared when fishing 2 rods (when playing a fish, when the other rod took off)

The Wye would be a "Baptism Of Fire" - Stick with one rod till you get a feel for it would be my advice.

You'll need a rod that's capable of the line - I smashed a good feeder rod using line that was too heavy for it!!

12 Lb is close to Clothes Line!! (just kidding, but you get my drift)

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Yep one rod 12lb mono, 10lb hooklink, 2 or 3 ounce feeders if summer level, plenty of groundbait, hair rigged 8 10 or 12 mm halibut pellets. Cast into flow. There are two main feeding spells, early and late. The only fly in the ointment at the minute is the Wye is suffering from algae bloom, which puts fish off. The Wye is also suffering from agriculture pollution, which has seen the ph levels rocket. 

What we need is a good flush through, but whatever a fabulous venue..good luck.

Check the rules!

You really don't want to be turning up with braid, only to find that braid is banned.

• Like 2

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

1 hour ago, Ken L said:

Check the rules!

You really don't want to be turning up with braid, only to find that braid is banned.

Good advice! Got my rule book Friday no lure fishing in the summer and no braid hook lengths so that’s a few things to leave at home.

• 4 weeks later...

So my first river session is over and wow what a place the wye is. Unfortunately the conditions probably couldn’t have been worse for fishing with 30 degree plus days, super high water temperatures and super low water levels meaning there was very little margins and most of the swims were like fishing off the beach. I was concerned to learn that these conditions are really dangerous for the fish, especially the barbel and was surprised fishing wasn’t stopped were I was although I believe most other stretches it was. I certainly stopped targeting the barbel once a local explained what low oxygen levels would mean for the fish. I caught plenty of chub to just over four and a half pound, and once I started fishing into darkness found the barbel with fish upto around seven and a half pound pulling my arm off. I was also hoping to try for a Pike but was quickly advised at the local tackle shop it’s not safe for the fish to target them during the summer months. All in all a great experience and a steep learning curve. I would like to perhaps see some guidance about safe fishing conditions with your day tickets or club license as people who come from a sea or I guess and Stillwater background would be completely ignorant of this and could unwillingly harm these magnificent fish.

• Like 1