Pellets for coarse fish

The Flying Tench

There's a slightly strange article by Dr Paul Garner in this week's Angling Times. In principle he deals with a useful subject in my view - what pellets to use when. But I wasn't clear on the issue of when to use Halibut Marine and when to use so called 'coarse pellets.' And indeed, why are Halibut ones called that?  The strange thing is that he seems to be saying that Halibut Pellets are not called that because of their content but because they are designed for feeding halibut! I quote: 'Halibut, on the other hand, are selective fish-eaters that need a diet rich in fish protein... pellets formulated for these giants need to be much richer...'  Paul is a knowledgeable guy, but this must be wrong mustn't it?

My more practical question is what pellet should I use for roach and chub on rivers? My tentative answer is that the Halibut ones have a stronger smell, and I won't be chucking in huge amounts - so probably they are OK?

john clarke

As far as I was aware, halibut pellets are for feeding halibut, much like trout pellets were made for feeding farmed trout.

I'm not sure but I think they feed farmed salmon on halibut pellets also.

Edited by Tigger

Neither did I, but with hindsight, Halibut (& in particular, Pre- Frozen Black Halibut) is often on Supermarkets Fish counters Thawed out!!!

(The Pre Frozen Black Halibut Can't be Re Frozen at Home and that is stated point of sale!!)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

11 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

You're right! I've just googled it. I had no idea they farmed sea fish like halibut.

Where there is money involved they farm anything.