Balling in groundbait

The Flying Tench

I was to lazy to use breadcrumbs i used a groundbait called pomenteg? Good as groundbait and could be used as a hookbait if you casted gently .

As you say mornings could be magical especially early season tench fishing and there was that distinct smell of damp compost permeating  the mist . i made it easy going there the night before and starting at first light i gave up weekends and even a morning  difficult my mrs has epilepsy which suddely apppeared in 1995 so going off for more than a couple of hours risky ,she leaves the gas on burning pots ,she leaves it on on occasion and doesnt light it!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

When we were kids we would go first thing and we'd nick milk and pop off the milk float as we walked up the roads to the path across the fields.  If we couldn't get any pop off a milk float we knew several houses on the walk that had pop delivered along with their milk.  We would make sure we only took one bottle from each house so theft wouldn't be thought of and the milkman was blamed for it.  We would get dandelion & burdock and orange, all fizzy stuff which would cause your nose to sting when you finnished your swigg of it.  I know it was wrong and it was thieving but it was all part of the crack at the time.  We would keep the bottles in the water in the keep nets to keep it cool.

I remember that carpet of thick mist on the surface when we arrived, and the excitment of what we might catch.  

One day I went on my own and had been happily catching small tench and crucians for a while when I heard some strange snorting and grunting noises right behind me on the banking level with my head as I was sat on my basket.  I nearly jumped out of my skin when I looked round and there was a dirty old tramp sleeping in the dew covered grass withinn a few feet of me!

We would see that tramp quite often and he would have a wash in the water and sometimes catch perch and cook them on the bank.  Back then tramps were quite common.

I wonder if they were old war veterans, much like the american vets from vietnam who lived like that when they returned home?

• Like 2

One of my main groundbaits as a kid was a mix of brown crumb and molehill tillings from any one of half a dozen clay fields along the Severn. Sometimes it would get some chopped worms or finely chopped meat and sometimes it didn't and on a handful of occasions, it got "blood" (myoglobin) that would drip into a tray under a quarter of beef when I worked in the butchers.

It worked well and the bit of colour from the clay often made a big difference.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 2 months later...

Gross Gardons needs mixing with another more sticky groundbait to achieve your goal,try fishing Sensas Lake Black,neat,or mixed  50/50 with fine brown crumb,this is a very sweet g.bait and attractive to roach,bream and skimmers...