Catching rudd on the top

Has anyone had any success with this? I had a crack today with dark caster. I had one caster on the hook plus a bit of rig-foam that I hoped looked like  a bright red caster. It just about worked OK, but I had more success with a conventional float approach with the bait fished very shallow. I'm wondering whether to try floating pellet.

john clarke

1. I've targetted rudd off the top many times FT, it's enjoyable.

I used floating casters, but to make them float (even black floaters) i'd put on two or three casters and gently squeeze them so their insides come out.  I would leave the white gung to seal up the cases and trap more air in the shell.  This made them float better.  I would either cast my bait out and catty out around it, or catty out and cast amongst the freebies.  I have also had lots of success using floating bread.  Floating baits work great after dark also and it really is good fun watching your starlight/glow light slide across the surface in the dark!

If you use fresh caster that are still fully alive you can make them float really well by just leaving them out in the sun for a while. Unfortunately most of the caster you buy nowerdays is almost (or already) dead so may not react the same.

I used to be able to buy fresh live caster from my tackleshop (which had very recently been turned and put into in sealed plastic bags to slow further development) which I normally kept in water when on the bank to actually prevent them from turning into floaters; however I always kept a few of them deliberately out of the water so that they would develop into floaters in the sun, which I could use to try to get the shoal feeding off the surface or to balance with a sinking caster to obtain a very slow descent.

Whenever I located a shoal of Rudd that were readily taking food off the surface I would catapult a few pouches of floating caster on top of them and top up this loose feed fairly regularly to keep them feeding off the surface, then I cast a small onion waggler just past them and then and slowly draw it back amongst the feeding Rudd.

NB: I fish with my bait (floating caster) around a foot to 18 inches max below the float with no shot on my line at all (all the needed shot tight up against the float with none down towards the hook).

The noise of the loose fed caster landing on the surface actually attracted the Rudd. It was just a case of manoeuvring my hookbait in amongst them after I’ve deliberately overcast my float.

hope this helps

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Your assumption is correct FT, although I do like to use drennan puddle chucker floats which have a weight slotted into the base to cock them.  I use a piece of soft rubber, the type I use on my avon floats but a longer piece to push onto the float after removing the push in sight tip. I don't use the actual starlights as imo they are usless.  I use the larger and fatter glowlights which are very cheap on ebay.  Depending on distance I often just use the actual glowlight as a float.

These are an example of what I mean...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373631762924

I use the float as a weight aswell with the bait sitting 6" under it ,generally as soon as it hits the water its away a few freebies at the same time gets them going.

Another method i whitnessed was an old bloke who had forced a wire cage feeder onto a polystyrene ball ,the line went through a hole in the ball and had a dust weight fixing it to 4 to 6 inches under the contraption.he baited the hook filled the feeder with ground bait and simply chucked it in ,in seconds the "float" was moving off sideways ,he struck and mr rudd  was landed ,his mate in the same swim had nothing using conventional  tackle a few feet away

I have caught rudd on bare gold plated hooks once the weather is hot and they start a feeding frenzy ,flies  under floats work well aswell no need for fly rods even a matchstick will act as a weight on light tackle

If your plaqued by small rudd try chucking inna slice of dry bread it will float off with the tiddlers feeding on it leaving the larger ones behind or further down grabbing any bigger bits ,i rarely use anything else but bread its a very undervalued bait

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Time to bring out the fly rod.

#5 or under will give you great sport if you have room to cast.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I fished next to a guy many times at Roundhay Park lake in Leeds who fished Caster on a Fly rod & Nauped (That's a Yorkshire Expression) loads big of Roach when most others weren't doing very much.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!