Lift method

I had a crack at this today for the first time in my life. I think I got the set-up OK. I fished two maggots in 6 feet of water, close to the bank. The problem was that I didn't get lift bites! Bites were frequent, but they were conventional 'going under' ones, not lifts. The fish were roach. I'm wondering if it works better with certain baits, possibly bigger ones? Or with certain species? Can anyone advise on this?

john clarke

Here's a nice vid' from Ian Heaps with some good Waggler fishing advice, even the most seasoned Anglers should maybe have a look, if only for mainly the "Nostalgia"

Also (Tench) when a fish picks up the bait disturbing the Bottom Shot, this would Likely result in a Lift Bite.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Thanks for the video, Martin.  I understand the principle of how the lift method works, but it didn't work for me in practice recently. It occurs to me that, for a lift to occur, if the bottom shot is 3 inches from the bait and is just touching the bottom, then the fish has to move the bait at least 3 inches upwards to get a lift. That strikes me as quite a lot. If the fish goes sideways with the bait there will be no lift, but there will be a dip. Equally, if the bottom shot is 10 inches from the bottom and the fish moves (say) 6 inches upwards and only a little sideways there will be no bite registered at all. So am I right that it all depends on how the particular species moves after picking up a bait - and this might vary with the type of bait?

john clarke

If you balance your tackle perfectly even a fish picking up the bait will see the float rise a fraction even without a weight near the hook if your bait is sitting on the bottom .Any version of the lift method is best suited to not a lot more than a couple of rod lenghts out .

The bottom weight can be far less than 3 inches if its the smallest weight the rest of the weights above have to be the exact weight less the bottom weight to make it work.

I always find 4" quill floats work best they are naturally streamlined and the bulk of the float in the middle ,you can fine it down to showing when a pinch of bread falls off the float will rise a bit (a fly should make the float rise when it takes off from sitting on the float if you have done it right)

Another brilliant  version is a 4" float with a 2" one connected by a loop of thin wire (top of bottom float bottom of top float) as the fish mouths the bait you can see tiny ripples coming from the top float (lying on its side the bottom float is weighted so it sits vertically in the water with the top float laying on its side) as the fish starts to move the top float starts to rise and you strike .

Theres many versions but inmo best used in very flat water close to the rod tip and doing all the work setting it up in a container at home ,you then know the position of the weights all you have to do is lenghten everything at the pond after PLUMBING the depth being anal works chuck and hope not so .

Its weird but i get much more pleasure using really fine tackle close up than heavier stuff further out even if more fish are out there!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I never got on with "the lift method".

There were always far too many line bites in the proto-carp puddle that I was fishing as a kid, some 40 odd years ago.

A small waggler, fished slightly over depth, always scored better.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I agree with Ken, and I've never really set up specifically for Lift bites, but if the float should rise even a bit, it's always worth a strike.

Typically, it's more the species you are fishing for - ie, on still water for Tench & Bream next to Lily Pads.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

John - I use the lift method ALL the time when I'm fishing for Tench and Crucians - nearly always in the margins (and usually close to lillies!) I pinch a dust shot about 2 inches from the hook and then mold a piece of plasticine around it - just enough to sink my small quill or waggler float. Yes you get liners - which over time I think I've learnt to recognise - plus bites in the traditional way. However there's something to be said for seeing the float rise and go flat - though you need to be quick and strike as it rises. This set up can be too light on bigger lakes when the breeze has got up and there's a bit of undertow - though I just add more plasticine to keep the bait in the same place....

• Like 1

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

If you make the linked float i mentioned you can set the top float so its at 45 degrees you will then get lift bites and ordinary bites easily spotted ,lift bites will let the float lie down ordinary ones will make the float stand up then glide away as the fish swims off.

Theres a tiny problem of surface tension  with such methods but fish being competative for food if they are not spooked by the bait itself they dont notice

Strangely i cannot find one picture of the float i am on about online its nothing more than a larger quill with a wire loop at each end the upper one goes through a small quills loop .

Mine are somewhere in the loft i havnt fished a pond since i left Farnham AS and they dont work with the slightest drag!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Re lift bites.    Those of you who fish close in (I mean REALLY close - within three inches of marginal reeds/bulrush/reedmace/flags etc) have a good chance of glimpsing the real cause of the "lift"

Tench feed on tiny snails and other invertebrates that feed on marginal vegetation.    These invertebrates lie concealed in the mud when not feeding and crawl up the stems of the marginal plants to feed. (Think of the way slugs, snails, some caterpillars and beetle grubs do the same thing to your lettuces, cabbages. dahlias and petunias etc.)

The tench come along and pick the inverts off the stems (that's why careful observation will show flags, reeds etc "shaking" for reasons other than wind.   If Mr Tench is still hungry, then he goes after the inverts lying concealed in the mud  close to their food plant.   Head down, the tench appears to "bounce" on its head.  I've seen a group of tench keep this up for at least half an hour, without going horizontal

If, like me, most of your tench fishing is done on old estate lakes on clay (Wealden Clay in my case) then all you will see in the murky water is a tench tail that arises  then disappears.   If you get the opportunity to fish a clear water gravel  pit then you will see the full monty.   Tench, head down, each behaving like something on a slow-motion pogo stick.

Once you have seen it, you understand the full extent of the lift, and also why you get so many line-bites

Choose a long thin float, (I use a porcupine quill) get your shotting right (see other's advice above), keep quiet and still, use worm. meat or maggot, and you should be in business

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The master speaks! Nothing more to add ?

Its surprising now close fish come to you if your not stomping up and down and casting four rods to the horizon every ten minutes followed by a gallon of bait.OK i added a bit!

Edited by chesters1
  • Haha 1