Fishing tidal rivers

The Flying Tench

When fishing the sea I understand the best time is the last 3 hours before high tide.

But is it the same when you're fishing a tidal river? I've watched a couple of videos which half imply the best time is just after high time. Any views?

john clarke

I do a lot of fishing on tidal stretches of several rivers.  I am usually float fishing and often have some cracking sessions fishing an incoming tide.  Depending on the height/power of the tide I can finnish up trotting back up river!.

As the incoming tide slows down I often fish way overdepth and lay on, which can be prolific fishing.

On a high tide everything stops for a short spell and again depending on the tide I lay on/float leger.  As the tide ebbs and turns and the flow picks back up I start to trott as normal again.  

How good the river fishes does vary depending on the water coming down the river, wether it has any flood water coming down carrying debris etc.  It usually fishes best when the river is low to normal level .

As I said, i'm virtualy always trotting but when I lay on it's just the same as legering really.  I think laying on is a more sensitive method and if done correctly shows bites so much more clearly and the fish feel very little.

Sea fishing, I look at an hour either side of high and low tide. In estuaries, more or less the same in the neaps, as most northern Australian estuaries carry large tides between 5 and 11 metres and there is NO fishing on big tides.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes, they can be good throughout the in and out and after also.

Although I fish both large and medium sized rivers I prefer to fish the mid sized tidal river stretches.

Often right down the margins fish really well, so no need to be out in the middle.

I used to fish Tadcaster on the River Wharfe, namely Grimston Park & Ouston Farm which were Tidal & probably still still are depending on what the EA may have done to change that over the last 45 years.

When the river "Backed Up" you might as well have gone & had a Lay down in the field behind you for an hour or 2.

I can't really remember catching or a fish or getting a bite during that time till the normal flow resumed. Just goes to show how very different, different Tidal venues can fish.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!