Line colours

chrisjpainter

As I mentioned in my welcome thread, I'm back to course fishing after a solely lure fishing period. So I need to ask a few basic questions, starting off with line colours. Does it matter much, or is it just the hooklength that's key? Lure fishing's all a bit different with hi-viz/multi coloured stuff! I've bought some 12lb maxima that's a sort of browny red colour (12lb needed because of some of the rules at my new club's waters), but should I have looked at something green/dark? Does it make a huge difference?

Also, hooklengths. Braid or mono? Mono must be used for the mainline, but a braid hooklength up to 18" is allowed. I'm tempted to stick with mono, but any thoughts? The waters are all rounders apparently. my most local one a few carp up to 20lb, but mostly smaller carp, tench (which I'd love to target), bream etc.  

Used Maxima for over 50 years and had no problems. mainly straight through with no hooklength

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

It must be a pain to have to use 12lb bs, but I can't see the colour would make any difference. Re the hook length, as I understand it the reason carp anglers use braid is that they reckon the fish is more likely to feel the line than see it. Someone please say If I've got the wrong end of the stick, but I think there are different types of braid. There is the stuff you use for the main line, which has a low diameter but is not specially soft. I suspect the stuff they use for hook lengths has a bigger diameter, but is very soft so the carp won't feel it.

Personally, if you're not after monster carp I'd have thought monofil would be your best bet.

john clarke

That's very useful, thanks chaps. There's a small lake on the ticket within walking distance that's apparently a good mixed lake, but with plenty of tench and it's been far too long since I had one of them in the net, so I'd like to have a bash at them.

Braid seems a very different world for carp fishing compared to lure fishing or boat (kayak) fishing, so it's a learning curve, but I think sticking to mono isn't going to cost me anything particularly. 

I think half the reason braid is used is the diameter vs breaking strain ,they then can have almost unbreakable line compared to mono of the same diameter?

Clever? Or just bad anglers making up for deficiencies in fishing technique  or just impatience and dragging in fish before they are tired it's your call

I used it for carp hook lengths but never for anything more and having seen it frayed to almost nothing in a chance catfish encounter never if they are present.

Braid is nothing new it was the first line available only the composition (and treatment after use) has changed but i am happy using mono

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

2 hours ago, chesters1 said:

I think half the reason braid is used is the diameter vs breaking strain ,they then can have almost unbreakable line compared to mono of the same diameter?

Clever? Or just bad anglers making up for deficiencies in fishing technique  or just impatience and dragging in fish before they are tired it's your call

I used it for carp hook lengths but never for anything more and having seen it frayed to almost nothing in a chance catfish encounter never if they are present.

Braid is nothing new it was the first line available only the composition (and treatment after use) has changed but i am happy using mono

And that it's completely non-stretch. I'd never go back to mono for my lure fishing, particularly for bass, but it's a different ball game when it comes to course fishing. Seems like mono's still king when it comes to that. Fortunately there are no lurking moggies (as far as I'm aware...). Looks like the line's good. Now the fun of trying to remember how to rig up without the need for a wire trace or fluorocarbon!

• Thanks 1

Stretching does have its advantages and mono rarely cracks off casting ?

Thicker line (mono compared to braid) can also make a difference getting caught behind scales if tight line rubs against  fishes flanks in catching them ,braid is very easy to cut things  .

Its personal choice unless its banned as it is in some venues as is their right to ban anything on their property you like it or lump it lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Mono is used more than Braid in coarse fishing for several reasons; not least monos ability to stretch and absorb the lunges of a heavy fish but this also minimises the hook being pulled out and damaging a fishes mouth when it’s put under too much pressure; plus braid is a lot less resilient to abrasion damage. 

Braid is fine for a lot of uses including hook links when it needs to be soft and less obvious; and when you need to be able to feel the action of a lure, or set a hook at over 100 metres; where line stretch might be a pain, but it’s not very kind when your trying to play a really hard fighting fish that might take several minutes to try to bring it under your control; when your rod action isn’t quite enough to absorb all the turns and lunges and any strong runs; plus fine braid can cause mouth and fin damage during a long fight, as well as an increase the likelihood of hook pulls or your line parting because of abrasion damage. 

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

In Australia, braid is definitely the most popular line, either in fresh, or sea water.

My preference is high viz braid, as I usually start a session about 20 minutes before the sun comes up.  My saltwater  target fish are the mackerel family, spaniards and queensland macks and golden snapper (lutjanus johnii). When a big spano makes a 100 to 150 metre run, it's nice to know that the finer diameter makes for more line on the reel.

In the dams and rivers, I target barramundi and braid is by far the best line for these bruisers; its 'no stretch' ability and a thumb clamped on the reel, is perfect for stopping big fish from charging into mangroves, or drowned trees in dams. Oh, the joy of a burnt thumb!!

• Like 2

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I use braid a fair bit and currently have it loaded on my ledgering reels as well as my lure kit.

The high viz stuff can be coloured with a sharpie.

It's rubbish around rocks and tends to "hum" with heavy leads in fast flows, but other than that, I like it. Experiments with float fishing are a bit mixed.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.