Chester1 freezer top tip

chesters1

Update freezer still running  fine ,the thermostat isnt that accurate (or its the thermometer i installed into the door) but setting it colder (-20) and having a 5 degree difference seems to work so the temp hovers at -18 the correct temp for 3* storage.

The filter is great ,our water comes from the mains at 278ppm (278 particles of err bits per million of water) it comes out of the first 3 filters at about 119ppm (they remove everything above .5 micron the two carbon ones after the particulate filter get rid of a lot of the nasty taste our water has) the water post the reverse osmosis screen hovers about 2-4 ppm theres no slight scum in the tea anymore that we still had in the 5 stage filter predecessor and the mrs iron has no chalk buildup  in its filter at all and we're in a hard water area! .The idea of putting the waste water into the tank is brilliant had i thought this out i would have done it years ago when the prices dropped on the parts to make it.

Bought another two of the thermo relay units one is installed in the shed to run a convection heater whos "frost watch" thermostat is pants an iceberg could sit on it and it wouldnt come on ! The other one for our other freezer whos thermostat is starting to play up ,electroluxe still hasnt got back to me with a suitable replacement the freezer doesnt even show on parts suppliers drop downs! Bit more thought needed to bodge that one the thermostat is inside the freezer the other one was external so easier.

A couple of problems with the water filter as a whole the flood alarm went off one night a bit of condensation on one filter had touched the sensor plate ,an easy fix just move the sensor away and we noticed damp in the cupboard the tank sits in ,a tiny drip was seeping out the tap on the top of the tank (its under pressure) but more ptfe tape cured that and a mini dehumidifyer dried everything out in a day .

Things have changed in the 30 years since my first play with RO my first system used a mechanical pump to force water through the screen it took a week to fill a dustbin and wasted tens of dustbins full to do it.The tank bit is clever the water coming out of the RO filter is just a dribble (even supplied with 70psi) you would wait an hour or two to fill a kettle now its going to a small tank (still at a trickle) but the tank has a bladder which expands as it fills with water so once its full its presurised so opening your water tap its a decent pressure and your kettle is full in 30 seconds or so .so long as you dont use more than 6 liters (or whatever size your tank is) theres always a decent flow 

Now to invent dry water !

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 8 months later...

Update our really old freezer still waits to be fixed (the tools that are needed went out of stock on amazon and being far more expansive than most i will wait until they come back into stock) it looks now the spring is going to be the next oppertunity.

The small freezer that had the electronic thermostat still works fine but waits its time in the shed ,it was used in the summer at the annual family barbeque but quickly adjusted to be a fridge to store the burgers etc .

The brand new freezer i bought is tiny inside (told you) to get the capacity its far higher than the old one so the repaired working one wont fit on top .......its junk who on earth designs freezers with plastic drawers they wont last i can assure you and it seems to freeze solid just opening it .I thought it was the thermometer cable letting in warm air but its the same with wireless ones so just poorly made it weighs empty half what the old one did so i guess theres far less actual metal in it to make it solid.

Both freezers now have smart sockets on them which show the energy use via wireless to my tablet (as does the fridge) and its obvious doors let out far more cold air than lids it uses a third more electric than the chest freezer and its been defrosted 4 times since we bought it the old one every 6 months!

Waiting for a month of fridge power usage then i will replace its plug with an old "energy saving" plug thats been on our freezers since as long as i can remember (not on the new one its still under warranty) it will be interesting if they really work in real life i think our original one came from Bejam which shows its age now i will see if it was worth while using them.

Sadly i have fallen into the "smart" hole i used to poo poo the thought of remotely controlling your thermostat (why not just turn the knob down the way out and up on the way in)? But smart has advantages my main camera tells Alexa someone is at the gate and Alexa switches on the floodlight (its switch is smart and it comes on at 4 pm and goes off at 10pm or the foxes turn it on all the time) and turn on the porch light . So rather than leave it on it only comes on if a human is present saving dosh . Now both sheds have smart plugs plus all the tech attached to the living room tv can be switched on just by telling Alexa (as can all of them) fat people dont stay fat if they have to switch on a switch whatever next 🙄 now if i can find an app that uses eye blinks to talk to Alexa it would be great! speaking is so tiring lol

Just realised i must be posting on two seperate threads? ,i started this one about a small freezer with an obselete thermostat then later waffled about the one it sat on which died or rather didnt it just couldnt get colder than -15 running continually this is the one waiting to be fixed the small one is fine . Two old freezers dying in a year?!? Must be a government plot to force me to save electric lol

Whoops found the other thread here. The emergency chest freezer we bought to chuck the food in worked extremely well in our shed and remember it was above 30 most days !

https://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/8419873-well-now-i-know/&do=findComment&comment=9485814

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson