big Perch

Danez

Ok guys hope someone will be able to help here.

I live in Dunstable in bedfordshire, i do have car to get around, but because of my condition i am not really up for walking around lakes.

What i would like to know is this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find some big perch on the Lure, i dont expect them to be jumping out of the water at me, i understand that i will have to work for them.

I went to Wilstone which is 10-15 min up the road to me because i used to fish it as a lad, thats around 45yrs ago lol, i am sure it was smaller then, it looks like they may have merged two reservoirs into one. Anyway it was a bit daunting to say the least, when i was a lad, you used to get follows on your spinner/plug nearly every other cast, as i said i cant walk far so i stayed on the car park bank, i did not have one follow, i know there must still be fish in there (me thinks)

Can anyone please let me know where i might have the best chance of hooking whilst Lure fishing,

What bank do you think is the best.

I dont think there is any chance of taking over anyones favorite swim, i have taken a look up there 3 times now and yet to see another Angler.

Also do you know if there are big perch at Park farm (Eaton Bray) for the taking, either dead baiting or lobs.

I hear it is quite small fishery if so i think Lure would be out of the question.

I was also thinking of having a go deadbaiting for them on the canal, anyone tried this method locally.

Thanks.

Jim

Ok guys hope someone will be able to help here.

I live in Dunstable in bedfordshire, i do have car to get around, but because of my condition i am not really up for walking around lakes.

What i would like to know is this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find some big perch on the Lure, i dont expect them to be jumping out of the water at me, i understand that i will have to work for them.

I went to Wilstone which is 10-15 min up the road to me because i used to fish it as a lad, thats around 45yrs ago lol, i am sure it was smaller then, it looks like they may have merged two reservoirs into one. Anyway it was a bit daunting to say the least, when i was a lad, you used to get follows on your spinner/plug nearly every other cast, as i said i cant walk far so i stayed on the car park bank, i did not have one follow, i know there must still be fish in there (me thinks)

Can anyone please let me know where i might have the best chance of hooking whilst Lure fishing,

What bank do you think is the best.

I dont think there is any chance of taking over anyones favorite swim, i have taken a look up there 3 times now and yet to see another Angler.

Also do you know if there are big perch at Park farm (Eaton Bray) for the taking, either dead baiting or lobs.

I hear it is quite small fishery if so i think Lure would be out of the question.

I was also thinking of having a go deadbaiting for them on the canal, anyone tried this method locally.

Thanks.

Jim

Hi jim. i to live in the dunstable area , i haven't tried Wilstone yet but earlier this year during pike season i did go deadbaiting in a canal for pike, sounds a bit weird but a mate of mine told me about it so i gave it a try. I caught 3 perch in the first hour ( 9, 13 and 15 pounds ) and in the second hour 2 perch ( 11 and 12 pounds ) I was so chuffed i left after two hours to make sure i didnt ruin the brilliant day. This was around the end of the season and of course i haven't been again this year because of concentrating on carp, but know i wish i had stayed for a few more hours and i cant wait to return to the canal in the winter. I would recomend you at least give it a try as i had so much success.

Hope it turns out well,

Andrew

Hi jim. i to live in the dunstable area , i haven't tried Wilstone yet but earlier this year during pike season i did go deadbaiting in a canal for pike, sounds a bit weird but a mate of mine told me about it so i gave it a try. I caught 3 perch in the first hour ( 9, 13 and 15 pounds ) and in the second hour 2 perch ( 11 and 12 pounds ) I was so chuffed i left after two hours to make sure i didnt ruin the brilliant day. This was around the end of the season and of course i haven't been again this year because of concentrating on carp, but know i wish i had stayed for a few more hours and i cant wait to return to the canal in the winter. I would recomend you at least give it a try as i had so much success.

Hope it turns out well,

Andrew

I think you might have got the weights, or the species wrong there mate, either that or you need a new set of scales. :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think you might have got the weights, or the species wrong there mate, either that or you need a new set of scales. :rolleyes:

John.

Or they should be in the Guinness Book of Records, or can't tell lbs from ozs?

I suspect mebbe the perch were pike

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I suspect mebbe the perch were pike

Or the pounds were ounces.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Or the pounds were ounces.

That's what I said ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Peter Rogers my co-editor on The Book of the Perch shared a boat with me several times on Wilstone. Unfortunately this was just after disease almost wiped out the perch stocks there and on many other waters. I can't therefore suggest any areas for you as we caught mainly pike on our lures.

Like you I have limited mobility and so a boat is a great help, quite apart from covering a lot of water. However I'm not sure that the boat is still available at Wilsone. Can anyone else help here?

Later other members of the Perchfishers did very well on Wilstone ledgering flavoured maggots. This was one of the few venues where maggots were the best bait at the time for perch. For more on perch baits see this article of mine here on Angler's Net: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing-Articles/428.html

I can't remember after all this time where they fished. I seem to recall though it wasn't the swim that was so important but the distance they fished at, that varied from trip to trip.

I've a number of other perch articles here on AN. If you fish commercials because of limited mobility this article will hopefully be of help: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...teve_burke.html

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi jim. i to live in the dunstable area , i haven't tried Wilstone yet but earlier this year during pike season i did go deadbaiting in a canal for pike, sounds a bit weird but a mate of mine told me about it so i gave it a try. I caught 3 perch in the first hour ( 9, 13 and 15 pounds ) and in the second hour 2 perch ( 11 and 12 pounds )

Your canal has Nile Perch in it ? Awesome :-P

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

Yor canal has Nile Perch in it ? Awesome :-P
Or someone is trying on a wind-up.

i haven't tried Wilstone yet but earlier this year during pike season i did go deadbaiting in a canal for pike, sounds a bit weird but a mate of mine told me about it so i gave it a try. I caught 3 perch in the first hour ( 9, 13 and 15 pounds ) and in the second hour 2 perch ( 11 and 12 pounds ) I was so chuffed

I think he meant pike.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...