River Stour from Canterbury east.

Comus

Chesters,

Yes Botolphs bridge is still recommended although I haven't fished it myself yet. Fished a short distance away at West Hythe Bridge a little while ago but was plagued by small pike, to be expected I suppose. Will be going there after the spring.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I regularly fish for mullet in the "sea side" of the lock but over the years have caught many by accident whilst waggler fishing on the freshwater stretch.I think that photo is about 5 years old.Back in the 70's huge shoals of thin lips could be found in the freshwater part of the river as far inland as Blackwall Bridge! Doesnt seem to be as many these days maybe some thing to do with the Star Lock even though it has a fish pass?

In regards to the chub,in the 90's there was a huge explosion of them in the summer you would catch loads of little chublets but they seemed to disapear again.

Totally agree with your comments re the Rother v Stour.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

the east bridge as i mentioned is the best place ,its coloured and if i remember directly next to a pub (used to be the red lion?? red something) and its a nicely mowed bank :D .i used to belong to cingue ports AC does it still exist

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yes Cinque Ports is still going.

I am intending to join it next April. They still have some of the Royal Military Canal and 2 lovely looking lakes in Beechborough Park just outside Folkestone.

beechborough park :confused:

is it that little pond just over the road from the froghalt? road ,it used to be called just beechborough pond in my day :confused: last time i visited it (visited mother in law at peene)it had gone trout :confused:

i used to almost live there as a teenager ,taxi down from hawkinge friday night after work and either walk home back up the hill (past the dolls house) or walk straight to work monday morning :)

mind you there was a pond in the warren in those days :D

[ 04. January 2005, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

there was just one when i fished it ,full of wild carp and most silver fish ,i used to use a 14ft match rod and hide in the reeds and dabble a bit of floating crust on the top those carp went like steam trains ,i also caught a canada goose there but it won :D

thats progress all those real carp gone :(

the best pond around folkestone used to be at the bottom of gun? hill ,big golden tench and big roach saddly now under the new road that goes through the hill (well actually under the roundabout the roads on) :(

in the closed season we used to fish the pond in the park opposite the hospital ,i hear its now under a clubs control ,it was free then and had a huge tench population that fed all year round

[ 04. January 2005, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]