Helping kids enjoy fishing !!

blindog

Went down the local pier today with my two youngest sons,bait king rag and cockles.

Got the kids sorted out and fishing before getting the spinning rod out and having a few casts myselfe.

As with most kids the usual "Dad im in the weed again,the baits gone etc"all part of learning ,oldest son catches a small Wrasse and the rest of the kids on the pier are round him like flies round SH***e,All types of Mackeral feathers spinners ,hooks bolts and lumps of lead flying into one small area with the enevitable outcome ONE big tangle of lines.

Took astep back and watched another two adult anglers telling them to clear of to the other end of the pier so they could fish,I asked them if they should not be helping rather than chasing them away to wich i was told "its the only time we get peace from our own kids and we dont see why we should bother with them as most were holiday makers anyway"

After two hours of baiting up and sorting tangles and all the questions "can you eat it" etc most had left the pier and gone home.I must admit watching them trying and learning to tie hooks and weights on baiting up with proper bait not sweetcorn and garden worms,and the best bit was watching them hook and land there fish and watch there faces as they let the mainly small coalies back into the water was well worth the effort.

My sons and me caught 20 Mackeral,5 Wrasse 4 Pollack best just under 5lb on a SNATCHER LURE,1Conger 7lb on rag,6 SeaScopians,2 Cod,1Plaice ,And loads of Coalies on the whole an enjoyable day.

Lenny

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right blind dog, we should be teaching them. Young anglers are the next generation and if tought correctly will have the same concervation minded aprove that a growing number of sea anglers have now.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Bloomin good day blindog, and you're a greater man than I for helping all those kids. Unfortunately most of the kids fishin in my haunts, seem to think cutting up Pollock while they're still alive is great fun and nicking bait is perfectly acceptable. They aint all like that obviously but a LOT are. Well done though mate, nice one.

flattie

I have also been plaged by kids when fishing and I wont pretend they dont bug me, but they do need to lern how to fish and how to treat caught fish and how to treat the enviroment.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I spent a good part of saturday teaching 2 Polish guys how to cast. They'd never fished before but had obviously been recommended gear in a tackle shop as they had quite a bit. They started off casting behind themselves, off to the side, 1 yard out but eventually I had them getting a decent distance. They both caught a few Mackerel and seemed genuinely chuffed with what they'd learnt.

I guess it doesn't matter who you are teaching kids or whatever. If a person is willing to learn then I'm quite happy to spend a bit of time helping them out.

I do agree that fishing is only a part of what needs to be taught. Kids and adults taking up sea fishing need to learn to respect the environment and the fish. I'm getting fed up being lectured by Joe Public about the litter, line etc. scattered over the beaches, piers and rock marks that I fish. Each time I go I spend ages picking up disgarded line and beer tins but all too often the mess is too much for 1 person to make a dent in it. I don't blame the people who take issue with the litter either - why should their walk with the dog or whatever be ruined by careles anglers dumping litter?

Question is does anyone know a way to get through to these idiots without suffering a tirade of verbal abuse?

well done blindog

i take my kids whenever i can and they love it when catching but often comlain about other anglers rubbish as we tidy up (going home with more bags than we came with)

hats off to you mate

on a down note my daughter misstack4 dislocated her kneecap today at her fist day at summer school (to ease them into the new academy life)

well chuffed with her as not a peep out of her even when they put it back in

but no fishing for a while :(

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

flattiefanatic:

Bloomin good day blindog, and you're a greater man than I for helping all those kids. Unfortunately most of the kids fishin in my haunts, seem to think cutting up Pollock while they're still alive is great fun and nicking bait is perfectly acceptable. They aint all like that obviously but a LOT are. Well done though mate, nice one.

Hey were not all like that!

Must beat P.B

I know, I'm only 17 myself. That is why I wrote

"They aint all like that obviously."

The reason for me typing what I did was that every kid on the Pier/Waterfront that I see keeps everything that they catch, 6 Inch Saithe, Corkwing Wrasse you name it they keep it. I'm not totaly ignorant and realise that many of them are only being typical kids, they want something to take home to show their brother/parents. Im just speaking from personal experience, my apologies if I've caused offence.

flattie

well im not reli a kid now bt a young man (16) :):):):) and as long as i can remember i've always looked after the fish i catch, if im going to keep them then i kill them straight away and put them in a bag out of the sun.

as for the litter if there were more bins then people would use them. i always use the bins on the pier and one day i was fishing up there, the baliff bloke saw me put some paper from the worms in the bin and without a care in the world just strutted over to the bin, took the paper out and threw it straight off the pier as it was the right thing to do.

i think i was about 14 and even at that age i was furious and confronted him about it, cant remember what he said but he didnt do it again whilst i was there, and he was the official pier baliff. stupid idiot

always look on the bright side of life