Helping kids enjoy fishing !!

blindog

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***Simon***:

as long as i can remember i've always looked after the fish i catch, if im going to keep them then i kill them straight away and put them in a bag out of the sun.

Im the same. I always handle fish that Im going to return carefully, I keep very little of what I catch unless its an odd dab for the table, or some fresh mackerel for bait. I also try and help new anglers whenever I can, prime example. I took my mate fishing for the first time last week, he caught a couple of Dabs and kept them. I asked him if he wanted to return them but he was adamant he was keeping them, when I caught one I had it straight back in the water, when he asked me why I explained that it was too small to eat and it wasnt fatally injured so there was no reason to keep it. I also spent more time helping him to set up his rod and basically showing him the ropes, than I did fishing. The people I wont offer help to are those that drop everything at their @rse while filling bags with undersize fish and trying to mooch as much gear off of me as they can. It may sound harsh, but if someones not willing to learn, why waste the time trying to teach them? I apologise to anyone offended by my post that might have seemed like a generalisation about kids, I did say in that post that not all kids are like that. I'll stop now before I dig a deeper hole lol.

flattie

I had an old guy run over to me yesterday when I caught an "8 Pollock. He was shouting at me to put it back, obviously he hadnt seen the 8 Pollock that I had returned in the last two hours. I agree, assumptions are made because of our age, and maybe it seems slightly hypocritical that I'm complaining about young anglers attitudes, but I'm not being hypocritical as I'm not making assumptions. I can safely say that most of the young anglers IN THE AREAS THAT I FISH dont have a clue about conservation, and more to the point most dont seem to care.

flattie

Tell you what it wasnt easy to keep a lid on it all the time,but a little bit of effort on my half and just giving a little bit of encouragement at the right time was all that was needed.

I would say that 99%of all fish went back no problem,its hard for kid to understand that leaving a hook in a fish is better than ripping it out, thats the best way to do it ,it may have cost a couple oh dozen hooks for the day but well worth it if they do that in the future.

Lets teach them from our own mistakes,i know when i was a kid the pier was lined with sun dried coalies after a day's fishing.(nobody ever explained to me what i was doing wrong).

It's there fishing in the future !!!

Lenny

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

OK, this isn't Sea but it is Kids and it is recent. I fished an informal company club match on Friday afternoon, and let the kids join me for the last hour. Josh (left) caught two carp and Aedy (right) help her pal Susannah catch her first roach. Just look at those happy faces. Who cares that I came last in the match? It made my day.

Posted Image

[ 18. July 2005, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Salar ]

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk