Question for Budgie ABU Multipliers

tincatinca

post-8110-1225370451_thumb.jpgpost-8110-1225370394_thumb.jpg

Some years ago, I was browsing around in my local tackle shop and spotted this reel tucked away at the back of the counter. It had been brought in and swapped for some other tackle. I asked how much and was told £30. I had no money at the tine and rushed off to find my wife who was browsing in an antique shop next door. Luckily she had a cheque book wih her so I managed to extract it out of her bag and bought the reel.Whislst I have a good knowledge of ABU fixed spool reels and closed face reels I know next to nothing about ABU multipliers although I use a 4601 for spinning. The reel whilst it cannot be described as Mint in the true sense does not appear to have been used and came complete with leather case which is in very good condition along with an unused lubrication bottle and spares kit. The only thing I believe missing is the spanner. The stamping on the reel foot is 620459 and the reel is equipped with a ratchet check.

The questions I have are

Which model 5000 is it

When was it made

Does it have any value

Thanks in antipation of any responses

It's a lovely wee reel whatever it is.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Yes mate its an ABU5000 made in 1962. There were two"versions" of this edition the only difference being the number of screws used to hold the left hand side plate on.Yours as can be seen has the four screws. Further "variations on a theme" are later models had bevelled side plates instead of the "ridged" ones yours has.Also Yours is known to collecters as a "Big A" model.These older models simply have a big capital "A" in a fancy script engraved whilst later modeld had a more modern style.

A classic reel which unlike the "C" designated models didnt run on ball bearing races but on brass bushes.

Value wise they are quite low as they are arguably the most common.To be sought after by a serious collecter they would have to be in pristine condition with box,paperwork,tools,oil and leather case.Even then £75 would be a realistic good price. Easily picked up in lesser (but still good) condition for under £30 here in Europe or far less (under £15) from the US. As a fishing reel to use they are also slightly inferior to the "C" model which can be got for a similar price.

But its still a great Swedish (Svangasta) built ABU classic produced when quality meant something.If you would like I can tell you what it would have cost new in 1962?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes mate its an ABU5000 made in 1962. There were two"versions" of this edition the only difference being the number of screws used to hold the left hand side plate on.Yours as can be seen has the four screws. Further "variations on a theme" are later models had bevelled side plates instead of the "ridged" ones yours has.Also Yours is known to collecters as a "Big A" model.These older models simply have a big capital "A" in a fancy script engraved whilst later modeld had a more modern style.

A classic reel which unlike the "C" designated models didnt run on ball bearing races but on brass bushes.

Value wise they are quite low as they are arguably the most common.To be sought after by a serious collecter they would have to be in pristine condition with box,paperwork,tools,oil and leather case.Even then £75 would be a realistic good price. Easily picked up in lesser (but still good) condition for under £30 here in Europe or far less (under £15) from the US. As a fishing reel to use they are also slightly inferior to the "C" model which can be got for a similar price.

But its still a great Swedish (Svangasta) built ABU classic produced when quality meant something.If you would like I can tell you what it would have cost new in 1962?

Thanks Budgie.

The value is really immaterial but being an engineer I am always interested in how things work and this appears to be a well well made and put together bit of kit. I have no intention of using it but like a lot of my reels I like to play with them occasionally and give them a clean and lube.:D

With regard to dating which I believe relates to the stamping on the reel foot, is there anywhere on the net which gives information on how to ascertain the date of manufacture.

Regards

This is one of the better sites (there are several some with rather dubious "facts"!) I dont know if its got a Reel Foot serial number code identification piece on it though?

http://www.realsreels.com/collection/default.aspx

Edited by BUDGIE

Yes I know what you mean. It is costing me a small fortune to replace all the reels I sold in the past. Its fairly easy to obtain 506s, 507s, Cardinal 54s and 55s but Cardinal C4s and C5s now seem to have become like rocking horse ___t. I have always regretted selling those of which I had three of each. Definately built like the proverbial tank and if looked after I think would last forever. I still have a box of spares for them although I never had to use them whilst I had the reels.

Just had a look at the link to the other site.The "reel foot serial number" explanation is a good one and the site cant be to bad as it features several of my reel photos from Ebay!! Cheeky sod! Ah well no worries.