sea sickness

wetman

hi im new to all this! i was hoping someone would have some tips on avioding sea sickness,im alright on slight/mild but as soon as the wind starts making it choppy thats me over the side! and as boat fishing is my favorite type its quite a pain :mad:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be one of the worst sufferers of sea sickness known to man when I was a youngster - even though beautiful days when the sea is like a mill pond I would be violently ill. It affected me so bad, that the evening before I would step foot on the boat I would be feeling ill - all in the mind. I battled it for 5-6 years - just keeping going when feeling ill no matter how hard, and I got over it.

To combat it, I would watch what I would eat, avoid the wheel house, exhaust fumes, and what I found most important was not put lean with my back against anything. - maybe thats just me.

Keep active, and try not to think about it - nothing like catching a fish to get rid of it :)

Now, I don't mind what weather I go out in at all - and do occasionally feel a wee bit nauscious on extremely bad days, if I do start feeling off - I take a drink of fizzy water (green bottle of Higland Spring), and it soon helps settle me down.

I was sea sick one day last year (first time in 9 years) - though that was down to eating chips at 8am before I went to sea (with a few in my from night before), on a day we should not of gone to sea. :)

I guess, just keeping at it - and finding what suits your body is best cure, also thoe Sturgeon travel tablets (or what ever they are called) do seem to help some people.

Gillies :)

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Probably sounds stupid, but try not to think about it. I've only been on boats twice when it's been really bad and others have been ill around me. The first time, I sat there and felt rough, but once I got up and walked around a bit and did some fishing, it took my mind off it.

Also, try not to let your head move about too much, it's the fluid sloshing around in your inner ear that makes you feel ill, if the boat is tossing one way to another, try to move your upper body to compensate.

I'm not convinced on travel sickness tablets, my missus tried them last time we went boat fishing and she was still seasick after an hour and had to go back to port. I tried the 'keeping your head steady' method and I managed to stick it out for 8 hours. I'm no old sea dog myself either. :)

thanks for that! last time i went out in the channel from dover! the skipper said it might get a bit choppy,i didnt think twice about it as me fishing buddy was already taking the mick :rolleyes: ,i spent 4 hours retching while i was catching fish both at the same time! next time a skipper sayes its gonna get choppy im of to the pub! :D

Think of it as ground bait :)

Strangely after not being on a boat for a while I get queasy - though never sick - after 4th trip I'm usually fine, no matter the conditions.

A couple of people use these wrist bands and claim that they do the trick - but as suggested it may be psychological :)

Oh good, it's not just me then! I've found that a couple of Sturgeron tablets (from Boots, but not the boots own brand ones!) work brilliantly and you sleep like a baby when you get home. Other than that, drink plenty of water on the boat and keep off the beer the night before. If you've got rigs to tie, do them before you go as trying to concentrate on tying knots and threading hooks on a rolling boat is sure to make you hurl!

A good night's sleep before going out.

Eat some time before going out.

Use the loo before you go out.

Take some food and drink with you, in case you have to replace anything. That yellow stuff tastes horrible!

Don't try to read anything, especially while looking downwards.

Choose a skipper whose boatcraft you have complete confidense in.

Having said all this, I still won't go out and spoil other peoples day.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Never face the shore!

Before you set off tie a bit of really fatty bacon to a piece of string, swallow it then pull it up and swallow it down again. Guaranteed cure, you will not be sea-sick! I have never ever been sea-sick so that proves it works.

Cure for Sea Sickness

Heweeeeeeeeeeee Heweeeeeeeeeeee ahhhhhhhh loads of pizza coloured ground bait is covering your fingers as you try to stop a projectile of vomit covering the deck of your boat. Bubbles coming out of your nose, your arse is clenched tight cos the worlds reserves of s***e are about to fill your pants.

What is your cure for sea sickness :- Sea Sickness Pills, Travel Pills or those Wrist Bands.

No alcohol, the night before a fishing trip. A goodnights sleep, even though you’re excited about the trip, an early night helps. Breakfast of slices of toast with just a smear of butter and a hot mug of tea.

Even if the weather forecast is good, dress for the occasion. Warm clothing covered with waterproofs and waterproof footwear, helps because that sea is going to kick up even if it is not forecast.

If you are Dry, Warm, Not Tired and Not Hungry you are on your way to a good days comfortable fishing at sea.

If you start to get warm take some cloths off, because overheating is another way of getting seasick. If you feel dizzy, when you bend to go into your tackle box or put your head below the gunnels to sort out your tackle, ask someone with greater experience to help. Stand up and take a look around the horizon until you feel OK.

I found in my early days of boat fishing that to munch on Opal Fruit Sweets and sup, now and then, not drink, cheap Lemonade, Helped to keep that feeling of seasickness away.

If you are unfortunate to suffer seasickness, in time the more boats trips you make the feeling will go away and you will enjoy those sea fishing boat trips. It is worth looking after your self, there is no shame in being seasick as most fishermen have been there.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif