sea sickness

wetman

Dramamine was certainly available during the 1970's when I skippered charter boats.

Rubix Cubes are great! If I had a client go sick on me I would hand them a cube. Once they had something to concentrate on it was exceptionally rare for them to be sick again.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a guy that charters a boat out of Kilrush in Co. Clare and if he has 1 or 2 looking a little queasy then the gathers them around him and taking a freshly caught mackerel he proceeds to bite the head off the still wriggling fish and chews, being careful to spit out the eye's and he then tells you that this should either kill or cure you.

I believe in keep yourself occupied it's the only way to prevent it.

Now that`s a thought???

Offer the victim a fresh mackeral, bet him a fiver he can`t bite the head off and chew it!!!

It might just give the `sickie` enough of an adrenolin rush to forget all about the throw-ups.

I like it.

Paul. :D:D:D

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

I tend have a decent breakfast, not to greasy, then eat very little, if anything, on the boat and sip bottled water (between cups of tea) - not sure if this is a cure but it works for me. Only suffer If I've overdone it the night before :D

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

10 brownie points:

There is a guy that charters a boat out of Kilrush in Co. Clare and if he has 1 or 2 looking a little queasy then the gathers them around him and taking a freshly caught mackerel he proceeds to bite the head off the still wriggling fish and chews, being careful to spit out the eye's and he then tells you that this should either kill or cure you.

I believe in keep yourself occupied it's the only way to prevent it.

A few years ago, in a choppy Bristol Channel, a mate of mine thought it would be funny to pop a mackeral tail in his mouth and see if he could induce some of the other regular crew into feeling a little unwell.

It backfired on him and he soon had his head over the side with a still unknown member of the crew shouting to the one with the camera "don't shoot till it comes out his nose!" - which it did :D:D:D

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Aside from scopolamine patches and dramamine I've heard ginger pills or ginger ale work well. A few people I know swear that putting a sheet of paper or a paper bag on the belly under your shirt also works wonders in warding off nausea.

I suppose if that method didn't work you could use the bag to upchuck. Or you could chum for fish if trolling :D

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Have never chucked in 40 years of boat fishing but felt a bit iffy on a few occasions. Would suggest keeping your eyes on the horizon and keeping out of the cabin.

Tightus linus

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Beware of tall, bearded men with the surname Mackellow .....

got me pished last October at The Sailor's Return .... then told me his life-history until 3am ...... up to 'fish' the Penn Masters at 6am .....

couldn't fish for the first hour; tried to eat a banana at mid-day ..... threw it up before I'd swallowed it ....

be afraid ...... be very afraid .......

Hi Everyone,

New on this list so "Hello"!

As for sea-sickness I have been into boat fishing for the last three years or so. I always take Stugeron before going to sea and it works for me. Although it does tender to matter what boat I'm on, what the weather is like and what state I'm in before setting sail.

I have days when I can do anything and eat anything at sea and don't have a problem at all. Another day I'll be as sick as a dog. When I feel that way I find that by putting my head down in fresh air helps and allows me to keep on fishing. One friend of mine goes into the cabins and sleeps while most others swear by keeping an eye on the horizon. Try not to look down into the boat too often and bait up/tie rigs etc with your head up.

'smuch as I can offer right now.

:):):):):):)

"An amatuer built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Best Regards

Cerberus

http://www.walton-sea-angling.co.uk