sea sickness

wetman

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess, just keeping at it - and finding what suits your body is best cure, also thoe Sturgeon travel tablets (or what ever they are called) do seem to help some people.

Gillies :) [/QB]

It's STUGERON Gillies, (A valiant effort though?!!)

Take heed young man, I served my time in the Andrew and was like a lot of people sick! Take tablets, don't drink alcohol and EAT above all. If you get hungry your sugars drop and that makes you sweaty anyway. So always have sandwiches and eat them, don't leave them DRYING OUT IN THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BAG. Best sandwiches are ones with Jam in. This is for two reasons, first they taste OK when they DO come back up. And the other? They will boost your blood sugars and make you feel better. And the advice about drinking is good too in fact anything that you like is good just be aware that it may come back to haunt you? So avoid crisps and nuts!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Have they begun to allow UK sales of the scopolamine patch? One of those behind the ear and a dramamine tablet before you launch and most folks won't feel a twinge.

Really rough day or really sea-sick prone angler and possibly add a 2nd patch behind the other ear.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The part of the boat that moves the least in a corkscrewing motion (the movement that causes most people the most problem) is directly above the engines at the back. The only problem with this is that the exhaust fumes can cause sickness but that spot is gold if you have a weak stomach attached to a swirling inner ear. A mate who shall remain namely bar his nickname "two cod" (on account he never catches them one at a tiome, the devil) suffers terribly from sea sickness but grabs this place the second we board the boat and stayst there the entire trip. It helps a bit and I suspect pulling up double shots of cod doesn't hurt! The only man I know with his own smoker...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Hello wetman.

Sorry. There is no cure for sea-sickness. Otherwise we`d see a large advert in all the sea angling publications offering a wonder cure?

There are several precautions you can take.

Don`t have a big breakfast, try to sit in the middle of the boat, avoid the exhaust fumes, stay out of the cockpit, and watch the horizon, rather than the waves?

Of course, a night on the ale with your mates on the eve of the trip doesn`t help matters.

But if you`re predisposed to `motion sickness`, the best you can do is be sensible. If you want to throw up. Then get it out of the way. Try eating a little dry bread or biscuits, nothing oily.

Touch wood, sea-sickness is something I`ve never suffered from. But I`ve witnessed too many seasoned sailors sucumb to it, to treat it as a `whimps` complaint.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

heres my two penneth

i suffer from it, but havent had a problem (mid cnannel or even ocean) except when i havent done the following:

1) sturgeron...dunno if its psycological or what, but they help. Worth a try. 2 before you go with your breakfast, 1 every 3 hours afterwards. dont take them on empty.

2) i think its related to blood sugar levels, so having an empty stomach is a no no. Good breaky, lots of stuff like bacon and tom sauce sarnies etc. Whatever your comfort food is for breaky, have some. You dont want to be stuffed, but you dont want that empty feeling. Tea or coffee helps as well.

3) take comfort food with you...getting up early, being outside and you can forget to eat...make sure you do, it will help. I tend to take tasty stuff, like garlic sausage sarnies. Again comfort food, whatever gets your blood sugar up and you like to pig out on after a pint sort of stuff. (mid channel kebabs or mac d's anyone?)

4) if you smoke, cut back a little...that feeling of doing 20 ciggies too much and getting nicotine overdose doesnt help matters..try and eat instead.

5) water, take some, have some, dont get dehydrated

6) clothes, take some, layers, dont get cold and uncomfortable

7) try avoid looking down or anywhere where you visually lose your bearings to your surroundings.

if you are always faffing with kit and stuff, get more organised so you dont have to tie rigs etc in a force 4.

8) positive mental attitude. if you worry about it its worse...butterflies in the stomach dont help you forget about it/your stomach, which is really what you should do from the moment you get on the boat. if it gets rough, think of it as an adventure rather than endurance...get some wind in your face or something.

9) if you have to throw up, then do so, then eat something and take on fluids. have a doze, i find that can help, but its useless if your empty because that reminds you of your stomach and off you go again.

10) get comfortable on the boat, if you can find a bolthole with fresh air where you can doze for a bit and take on some food and drink etc you will fair better than holding out on rail with spray in your face every 10 secs.

Basically if you can relax your stomach and yourself you should be ok. Try and shake the viscious circle of thinking every signal our stomach sends you is an early warning of impending doom, as often, i have found it isnt.

I think the real trick is to shut your stomach up and find your equivalent of jumbo's feather :) works for me :)

If you have a sympathetic GP ask him to give you a script for prochlorperazine (Stemetil). It WILL stop you being sick but unfortunately is not available to purchase over the counter.

Newt, Scopolamine and Dramamine are not yet available to my knowledge over here. Come to think of it wasn't Scopolamine commonly known as the "truth drug"?

LOL - Chris, I think it may have been. Also used pre-operatively to dry up secretions (saliva and such).

It's been in use here as a great preventative for sea sickness for quite a while. I was a ships medic for some years in the 1970s and early 80s and it was introduced during that time.

Amazing to me the number of our crew who could put on a patch and not get sick. Some needed to also use dimenhydrinate (Gravol, Dramamine) or declizine (Bonamine, Bonine). Usually after 2-3 days every one was fine unless we hit some really rough stuff. And some of these folks had just come to expect their 2-3 days of being ill at the beginning of every trip even after 15-20 years of going to sea regularly.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Satchmo:

Not sure how some poor soul being sick is going to spoil anybody's day! Lighten up!

Having your day cut short because someone has to be taken ashore or transfered to a boat that is shorebound, is not popular.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net