pulley rig

bluerinse

The sea pulley rig is a great rig to clear your lead when fishing rocky bottoms, does anyone use it in course fishing?

I am thinking about using it for dead baits for Zander as the fish will have a short run before it feels resistence. it will also help clear the weight in some snaggy swims I want to try.

If anyone has used it or has a reason not to use it I would love to know

Cheers Richard

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

The sea pulley rig is a great rig to clear your lead when fishing rocky bottoms, does anyone use it in course fishing?

I am thinking about using it for dead baits for Zander as the fish will have a short run before it feels resistence. it will also help clear the weight in some snaggy swims I want to try.

If anyone has used it or has a reason not to use it I would love to know

Cheers Richard

Most sea-fish are self-hooked when they snatch at the bait against a stiff rod and typically a 5/6 oz weight anchoring the rig.

Mostly freshwater fishing is using less than 1oz of weight and a much softer tipped rod, and a strike is required to set the hooks.

I cannot see that a strike on a pulley-rig, anchored with less than an ounce weight is going to apply sufficient force, as the weight flies up from the bottom, rather than the hooks driving home.

But until you've tried it and ironed out any problems who knows :)

(Maybe if used with a circle hook, and wind down slowly into the take?)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Richard Ive always found Zander to be very shy of change of resistance so try to make my rigs as smooth as possible.I use a pulley rig for sea fishing over rough ground and being able to get your lead up and out of harms way is good.Just cant see that I would need to do that when Zedding as I dont fish any Zed venues that are that snaggy.A weak link supplies the "safety" aspect just in case my lead does snag.

When I get round to getting up to the Midlands maybe we should get together and compare notes? Andrew said that you may be up for a combined trip on the venues you gave us the info on?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Richard Ive always found Zander to be very shy of change of resistance so try to make my rigs as smooth as possible.I use a pulley rig for sea fishing over rough ground and being able to get your lead up and out of harms way is good.Just cant see that I would need to do that when Zedding as I dont fish any Zed venues that are that snaggy.A weak link supplies the "safety" aspect just in case my lead does snag.

When I get round to getting up to the Midlands maybe we should get together and compare notes? Andrew said that you may be up for a combined trip on the venues you gave us the info on?

Budgie

A combined trip would be great, currently I am targeting the large perch I have found in my favorite Zander swim and I have been having some great success.

I am though going back to targeting the Zander, there is a swim that I always snag in if I try and fish it, but I am sure there are Zander there, I am trying to think up a way to get bait in and a fish out without losing the tackle or tethering a fish.

Float wont work due to the force of the water so it has to be a ledgered bait. Rotten bottom would work I am sure but as I use circle hooks I fear that these will snag, I think the snags are sunken logs and branches, I guess some swims are just not fishable!!

Anyway let me know when you are coming and I will see if I can make it

Cheers Richard

Have you tried paternoster rigs there?

I have but I find that the fish tend to drop the bait quit quickly, but I guess I should keep trying.

cheers

Yes they do on a fixed paternoster rig.I use this one all the time for Zeds.Use as heavy a weight as you can (3ozs+) as It ensure the rig remains as free running as possible-

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Rig-Section/Pi...noster_rig.html

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes they do on a fixed paternoster rig.I use this one all the time for Zeds.Use as heavy a weight as you can (3ozs+) as It ensure the rig remains as free running as possible-

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Rig-Section/Pi...noster_rig.html

If you swapped the standard lead on that rig for one of those 'riser' leads (correct term?) that were popular for a few seconds in the early 90s, maybe that would get over any snags on the retrieve?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have never seen a zander let alone caught one but I do use pulley rigs, Are rocks the issue in the swim or is it roots and weed, if it is the later I dought if you would benifit useing a pully rig,

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!