We just don't help ourselves, grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Peter Waller

Its true that the minority give the rest of us a bad name and its a shame,but it happens and as we all know its not just line and hooks,the sweetcorn tins beer cans and pot noodle tubs all add to the long list of c**p some anglers leave strewn all over the bank and I don't think its something that will ever stop.Its a shame you couldn't make a fishing programme that featured every water in the country as theres never a scrap of litter to be seen on tv shows,they must have a right tidy up before the cameras start rolling. <_<

Judging by some of the photos I have seen on the internet... maybe it's not just a few Bad fisherman. If it is a few,,, they certainly get around.

We must police ourselves. If we see someone leaving crap on the bank or in trees, especially line and hooks, we must tell them about it. Most of them will pick up their trash if you take the trouble to let em know, of course you're always gonna get the belligerent Git that don't give a s*** for anyone or anything. (you can't do anything with those... they are numb)

It's such a dilemma... educating people about keeping the environment clean and safe for birds and animals, to say nothing of just keeping it beautiful for beauties sake ... is it even possible ? Where are the authorities ?

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca. 5 Degrees to go.

Edited by Rob J

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!

Sorry about this Peter - have another look at that swan. The lure has penetrated UNDER the beak of the bird - in other words just in the throat. IMHO that has been done deliberately, probably by a non-angler who didn't think we would sus them out!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I don't see any trace? it's possible that the swan has picked the lure while rooting about.

Sad fact is that RSPCA/RSPB will go directly to the news papers to get publicity for themselves. I'm not saying that this is wrong but gives a disproportionate view to the layman. and the media pander to it. how often to you read something positive about angling/anglers in the media. like the work some charities do with under priveralged kids and charity matches etc.

No we don't do ourselves any favours, but the media doesn't do us any either.

PAC RO - Birmingham Region 1 www.Brum-Pikers.co.uk

Internet Officer - National Anguilla Club www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk

Very Average Blog - www.PredatorAngling.co.uk

I agree that the photo looks staged. It's pretty unlikely that a swann is going to investigate much less attempt to eat a lure.

There seems to be no limit to the depths that those opposed to angling will stoop to.

That said, disgarded tackle does kill wildlife. only last summer, I saw a dead bat that appeared to have taken a baited hook that had been caught up in a tree. so we should all take care to minimise tackle loss.

Last year, I also saw hundreds of rabbits, badgers, foxes and birds all killed by cars. Logically, if people are going to call for a ban on angling to prevent the death of a very few swanns, they should also ban the use of cars (or at least give them up themselves) to prevent radkill carnage.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Re the suggestion that it is a contrived picture, I doubt it. More likely that a lure has been lost when it was snagged on bankside reeds. The swan then probably was rooting around in the reeds and became snagged. Fortunate that it was not drowned, its head held under by the lure being snagged in the first place. That said I have seen anglers continue to fish when birds are rooting around near their baits, not sensible.

During the Clapham campaign, we found evidence that the anti-anglers were putting lengths of line, with hooks, baited with bread, in the margins of the ponds. They were tied in place, onto sticks stuck in the mud. Some people aren't pro-bird, but just anti angler. That being said, the swan picture doesn't look staged to me, but the write up doesn't match the picture.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

During the Clapham campaign, we found evidence that the anti-anglers were putting lengths of line, with hooks, baited with bread, in the margins of the ponds. They were tied in place, onto sticks stuck in the mud. Some people aren't pro-bird, but just anti angler. That being said, the swan picture doesn't look staged to me, but the write up doesn't match the picture.

As was said in Leons thread about the same incident,

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Swan-Di...ook-t63861.html

it's probably a stock or library picture that was used.

Maybe because they didn't have a picture (unlikely) or they thought this one would have more impact.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John