Pike Fishing?

Rigg'd

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I know that its not like carp angling! Im lure fishing.

Rigg'd, what these experienced pike anglers are trying to get across is absolutely essential and failure to understand their advice could lead to all sorts of problems, up to and including a dead pike.

I suspect I'm concerned over the same thing as Peter, in that you say you've no experience with pike, yet you claim to know how to handle them. Again, please understand that handling, safely unhooking, and returning pike probably requires more skill and knowledge than hooking them in the first place. For this reason, you absolutely must go to this lake you've mentioned with, not only the right equipment, but with someone who knows how to use it and care for pike on the bank. They really aren't like carp at all and require a whole new level of understanding to handle them properly.

This isn't a case of more experienced pike anglers giving you a hard time, it's simply a group of experienced people offering you what they've learned over the years. Please take their advice BEFORE you go after those pike.

All the best.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Further to what Tel has said its just so common for guys who are experienced and confident with handling big carp to think that they wont have any problem with pike. Thats why we always mention this! Its not a Carp v Piker thing as most of us do both.Just something we had to learn the hard way and sadly that means hard for the pike we learned our lessons on.

I was lucky that I was shown (despite having fished for other species quite sucseesfully for many years) the ropes by a couple of really top pike anglers I was lucky to fish with for other species.No shame in learning or not knowing,The shame is thinking youy know and not!

Where are you based Rigg'd as I can see if your close to any of my teach ins this season if I can get you permission to attend if you would like? If not and you are genuinely interested in the welfare of all the pike you will hopefully catch Im more than prepred to take you out for a day here as long as you can get down. Or even put you on to some one local? they wont charge or anything but would simply just want to help you and the pike!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

well i started out pike fishing with a lure rod and still mainly fish a river as it allows me to get used to unhooking small jack pike. Also jack pike are lots of fun on a light spinning rod. when i have been dead baiting i went with a more experienced friend. my advice is get into it but don't try to run before you can walk, most of all have fun.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

well i started out pike fishing with a lure rod and still mainly fish a river as it allows me to get used to unhooking small jack pike. Also jack pike are lots of fun on a light spinning rod. when i have been dead baiting i went with a more experienced friend. my advice is get into it but don't try to run before you can walk, most of all have fun.

My mate is experienced in piking, i know the basic handling, like to be careful when holding the pike by the gills, and to place them on an un-hooking mat or in the net unhooking with forceps. I live about 3 hours away from Kent so im not sure about that :D

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

...holding the pike by the gills...

:o

Oh dear. That hasn't exactly helped calm the fears you know. :huh:

Rigg'd, I live next-door to you in Addlestone and I've got access to most of the lakes in that area, so if you need a bit of practical advice, give me a shout.

All the best.

Terry

Fully agree. Static Pike fishing can be one of the most exciting ways of fishing. Instead of sitting and waiting for the alarms to go off, you must really study the water, watch the surface for small stuff popping, watch the wind drift. Try and work out where a pike may make a lunge at a fish, which would last a split second, and move the bait a couple of inches (that's all it takes for a pike to take a bait and hold it in it's mouth, so you can hook it).

It's not like a lot of Carp fishing (which I like for other reasons), where you have to let the fish move around a bit for bite indication (even when float fishing, or when you can actually see the carp). A pike will slash across the water occasionally, straight towards your bait, but then stop without taking it. Sometimes, it'll take your bait with very little indication, after causing a major stir-up a while earlier. Other times, it'll sidle up to a bait, pick it up with the front of it's jaws, and give just a twich. Then, you need to gently tighten up, and feel for the bite. Often, the pike'll let go. But sometimes, it won't, so you have to wind down and pull the hooks home.

After a while, you really learn "read" a water. You'll be able to tell if your bait is or isn't in the right place, not because you can't see movement, or bubbles, but because you'll be thinking "If I was a Pike, which only had to move once a day for food (or once a week for a big ol' girl), I'd be somewhere about THERE. The fish will only then pick up the bait, beacuse you got all your sums right.

Pike fishing isn't like Carp fishing.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

:o

Oh dear. That hasn't exactly helped calm the fears you know. :huh:

Rigg'd, I live next-door to you in Addlestone and I've got access to most of the lakes in that area, so if you need a bit of practical advice, give me a shout.

All the best.

Terry

The gills or whatever you call them lol like this :

http://pikemaven.googlepages.com/MichaelsP...-full;init:.JPG

Its not me lol

Wow u live really close then .

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

Pike are mean and fragile and stupid (as are almost all top preds) and a little scary for some anglers.

Carp are mild and tough and smart and not scary for anyone.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The gills or whatever you call them lol like this :

http://pikemaven.googlepages.com/MichaelsP...-full;init:.JPG

Its not me lol

Wow u live really close then .

Personally, I'm not at all impressed with that method of lifting a pike, Rigg'd, and I'd advise you not to do it. Please study some reliable advice from P.A.C. or from the lads on here.